title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Codec to convert from Audible Audio (.aa)

Unregistered

Wink Re: Codec to convert from Audible Audio (.aa)

I realise it is not a Codec, but Total Recorder (Standard Edition) from High Criteria Inc will record Audible Audio files into an alternative format, including MP3.

Thumbs up Re: Codec to convert from Audible Audio (.aa)

That did work, thanks. However, I think the professional version will probably be required to chop the Audible files into manageable chunks; they download in seven-hour blocks.
    Thanks again,
    -Shawn

Unregistered

Re: Codec to convert from Audible Audio (.aa)

Ok, here's a guide to using graphedit.
    First up you're obviously going to need graphedit. Go to www.videohelp.com and search for it. Download and extract it. Browse to the folder and run register.bat to get the required directshow filters.
    Second you need graphedit to be able to understand your audible file. To do this you need Windows Media Player to understand it - they both use the same filters. Go to the Audible homepage and find the download site for your book. Select the format you want (probably the highest) and click stream. Internet Explorer will ask if you want to install the activex controls. (If you have SP2 you may have to click in the information bar). Install these. Click stream again to verify that WMP will open and play the audio.
    Now go into graphedit. Go to File --> Render Media File. Find your audible file. It may be stored in C:\Program Files\Audible\Programs\Downloads (I'm assuming you've already downloaded your book!). Now you'll see some grey boxes basically which show what's happening to your file. You'll see the file is passed to the audible codec which then sends it to the directsound device (i.e. your speakers). The idea is to grab that speaker output and redirect it to a file. So click the last grey box and press delete. You now are left with just the two boxes.
    Go to Graph --> Insert Filters. In the big list find Directshow Filters and click the + next to it. Now find WAV dest (if it's not there you didn't run register.bat!). Click insert filter. In the same list find File Writer. Click insert filter. Choose a name for your file (like, i dunno, audible.wav) Click close. You'll now see the grey boxes that you've just created. We have to tell graphedit that from the audible codec the sound is fed to WAV dest and then file writer. Find the little box on the right of the audible grey box that says output. Drag from there to the in on wav dest. From the out of wav dest drag to the in of audible.wav (or whatever you called it).
    Now it's ready to go. Click play on the toolbar and wait. It won't seem like it's doing much. Open the folder where you are saving your wav. Have a look at it's file size. It's probably a fairly small number. Check it occasionally. When it's big (around 150MB per hour of audio) it's probably done. Click stop inside graphedit. Double click on your wave to open it. You might want to seek to the end and make sure it's all there. Now you can do what you like to your wave like say open it in itunes and convert to mp3 or aac or whatever.

Unregistered

all riverpast version can be downloaded from
    http://www.andr.net/sn/?l=r&pn=6

Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Codec to convert from Audible Audio (.aa)

regarding the post above about the guide to using graphedit.... thanks a ton!! That was soooo easy following your instructions and it worked like a charm! Thanks a ton!!!

Unregistered

Hi there!

I also tried to use graphedit and it all worked until I had inserted the filter and was pressing the play-button. I never get any chance to choose a name or where to save the converted file. I have all the codecs and my audiobook.
    What's wrong?

Stefan

I've downloaded both River Past Audio Converter 5.0.3 & graphedit. RPAC says that it doesn't recognize .aa files and I can't figure out how to get graphedit to work. I have 3 books both on my computer and on CD. They use .aa files, but I'd like to listen to them while I drive, and my Blaupunkdt Acapulco MP52 won't play .aa CDs. It is designed to play CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs and MP3s. I'd appreciate step by step instructions to get usable CDs.
    Thank you,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    I've downloaded both River Past Audio Converter 5.0.3 & graphedit. RPAC says that it doesn't recognize .aa files and I can't figure out how to get graphedit to work. I have 3 books both on my computer and on CD. They use .aa files, but I'd like to listen to them while I drive, and my Blaupunkdt Acapulco MP52 won't play .aa CDs. It is designed to play CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs and MP3s. I'd appreciate step by step instructions to get usable CDs.
    Thank you,
    Barry
    If you can play the file on your computer, then you can record the audio to low bitrate mono .mp3 or other format through the soundcard, by using dMC Auxiliary Input. It's in real time so it will take as long as it takes to listen to the .aa file itself. Maybe you can let it run overnight.

If you want to burn to audio cd rather than mp3's, you can record to low bitrate .wma format, and subsequently burn (many) audio cd's using dMC CD writer.

Try the DirectShow Input Decoder in the Beta section of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Try the DirectShow Input Decoder in the Beta section of this forum.
    Oh, wonderful, LtData. I'd missed the one.

OK, I downloaded DS Input Decoder, along with dbpowerAMP & Thomson mp3Pro. Now, what are the steps to convert this .aa file?
    Barry

Did you get the Audible installer stuff that was mentioned in the post? You need that also.

Yes, how do I put it all together?

I'm not sure, as I don't currently have it installed. I guess just install the DirectShow decoder then the audible component.

I'm lost. I need someone to guide me through the process. I believe that everything is installed, but they aren't connected to each other.