title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Unable to read CD?

Post Unable to read CD?

Hi,

when trying to rip my first CDs I can't make it work. I get error Messages like the following:

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 4' to 'C:\Users\Bernd\Music\Sammlung\Klassisch\Edouard Lalo\Lalo; Symphonie Espagnole; Saint-Saëns; Violin Concerto No. 3\Symphonie Espagnole pour violon et orchestre op. 21 - 4. Andante04CompilationDaniel Barenboim10.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 82532 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 114407) [clRipperBurst::Rip]

The Folder is set up but the rip doesn't start. Is this really as stated a simple "unable to read" problem? Needless to say that this problem is not linked to this CD only, but no CD worked so far. It's also no Problem of my external CD drive, I have no problems in playing the CD on Windows Media Player.

Any idea which simple setting might be wrong or which simple mistake I make?

Thanks, Bernd

Administrator

Re: Unable to read CD?

Did you enable c2 pointers?

sorry for my stupid question, but how do I enable it?

Administrator

A better way for us to diagnose what is happening, close CD Ripper, run dBpoweramp Configuration, on the Music Converter tab, enable the debug option and click ok. Then Run CD Ripper, try to rip that disc, then close CD Ripper, a log will appear in notepad, copy the text and paste here please.

dBpoweramp Guru

I notice another issue to be wary of here, the length of the filename. It may well work on a Windows drive, but you will have big issues if you try to store that on a Linux server. The routine which makes the Linux filenames accessible to Windows has a maximum length, I believe of 155 characters, fully qualified, that is including the higher directory names that are before the slashes. I had significant issues with this at one point. Remember though that most players use the metadata stored in the audio files to identify them, not the file names, which are only important for you to recognize when manipulating the files. If you use the length function in building the filenames, you can avoid much of the issue, the metadata will have all the information but the filename will be abbreviated. There is one trap to be aware of, however; on multi-disk albums where it is common to have the title the same except for having "disc 1" "disc 2" etc at the end, chopping off the end of the title part of the filename can result in duplicate filenames, a recipe for big issues. You have to think out your filenaming protocol carefully to avoid all the issues.

Administrator

If it was a file error the message would have been different, so it cannot be that.

thanks spoon, it works now