title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replay Gain Clarification

Question Replay Gain Clarification

Hi,

I am trying to better understand Replay Gain and the reference point that it works to in terms of "volume". I have read the answers to a recent post which implies that EBU R128 is perhaps the option to use and that using a LUFS target volume of -18 should be broadly equivalent to what Replay Gain did. However I don't know what that translates to in terms of target "volume". I used to use a little application called MP3 Gain for my MP3 files and I found that setting the target "volume" at 92db gave a decent loudness level when the files were played on a range of devices. Is there a way of knowing what a LUFS target volume of -18 actually equates to volume-wise?

Also, if I wanted to redo all of my Replay Gain tags using EBU 128 as the basis, can the existing tags just be overwritten or would it be best to remove all Replay Gain tags first and re-apply them?

Many thanks - I hope the questions above make sense!

Andrew

Administrator

Re: Replay Gain Clarification

ReplayGain has a target loudness of 89dB, so -18 should be -15 if you want 92dB.

The existing tags are overwritten.

Re: Replay Gain Clarification

Brilliant, thanks very much.

Andrew