title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting Audio Files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PapaMickeyDJ
    • Sep 2014

Converting Audio Files

I keep getting an error when I try to convert my mp3 collection to flac.The error message is as follows
    Error FLAC limited to maximum 24 bits per sample [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

How do I change the settings...This is all new to me.Help!!:cry:
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: Converting Audio Files

Originally posted by PapaMickeyDJ
    I keep getting an error when I try to convert my mp3 collection to flac.The error message is as follows
    Error FLAC limited to maximum 24 bits per sample [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

How do I change the settings...This is all new to me.Help!!:cry:
    Sounds like your FLAC settings are wrong, but that's kind of irrelevant. More importantly, you are attempting an ill-advised conversion.

Your mp3 files are lossy, meaning that some of the original audio data was discarded when those files were encoded. (Depending on the bit rate used at that time, there could have been relatively little data discarded or there could have been so much lost that the mp3 is noticeably inferior to the original. Mp3s can vary widely in quality.) The key point is that the data loss is irreversible....there is no way to recover that lost information from the mp3 files. They are forever lossy.

FLAC is one of the lossless formats, which means that it compresses and packages audio data, but does not discard any of it, during encoding. A FLAC encoding is identical in audio data and quality to the original CD audio.

There is no point in converting an mp3 file to FLAC because the mp3 file already contains as much audio data, and has all the audio quality, that it can ever have. It cannot be enhanced or improved. (And because mp3 is the most widely-used format, neither can you do anything to make it "more compatible.")

With lossy files, it's best to just leave them alone, as further manipulation (especially conversion to another lossy format) can potentially only degrade the audio.

If your objective is to upgrade your mp3 library to higher-quality FLAC versions of your music, you must re-encode the original CDs, not attempt to convert the mp3s to FLAC or any other format. Fortunately, dBpoweramp's CD Ripper (which you already have) is the ideal tool for doing that accurately and efficiently.

Comment

Working...

]]>