title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Title Field and Track numbers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ratvandal
    • Aug 2014

Title Field and Track numbers

Many Network streamer apps now sort UPnP server data in folders in the 'By Folder' option by track number rather than alphabetical from the 'Title' Field i.e. the album track titles are displayed in track number order in the app - this is as it should be. However there are still many that don't so you end up with the album being played in alphabetical order by Title. I know that Artist and Album options allow you to display in track order but with 2000+ CDs and classical music, remembering them all can be a pain. Is it possible within the Ripper to pad the Title field with track numbers e.g. 01 'Title', 02 'Title' etc. rather than do this manually with a TAG editor. If not could it be added as an option?
    Last edited by Ratvandal; 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Title Field and Track numbers

Originally posted by Ratvandal
    Many Network streamer apps now sort UPnP server data in folders in the 'By Folder' option by track number rather than alphabetical from the 'Title' Field i.e. the album track titles are displayed in track number order in the app - this is as it should be. However there are still many that don't so you end up with the album being played in alphabetical order by Title. I know that Artist and Album options allow you to display in track order but with 2000+ CDs and classical music, remembering them all can be a pain. Is it possible within the Ripper to pad the Title field with track numbers e.g. 01 'Title', 02 'Title' etc. rather than do this manually with a TAG editor. If not could it be added as an option?
    I don't have the answer, but you do realize that you can make this change with your entire 2000 CDs in one automatic batch with a couple of mouse clicks. Use batch converter, convert to ID TAG UPDATE. Within ID TAG UPDATE, click on "map" tab, add new, and setup map from: TITLE to TRACK - TITLE. Then run convert on all 2000 files, and every title tag will now be track - title (01 - title, 02 - title, etc.). Should take only a few minutes to fix everything. EDIT: you may need to install the codec ID TAG UPDATE. If so, it is located in codec central at this site.

And now that I think about it, you can also add this DSP and mapping to your ripper and have it done automatically in the ripping step.
    Last edited by garym; 08-29-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Ratvandal
      • Aug 2014

Thanks for this - But I can't get it to work. I've downloaded the codec and selected Converting to ID Tag Update. In Map I select Title and in [name mapping to], I type Track - Title (there is no option to select Track - Title). Does it have to be in []? It says converting but nothing seems to change.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Hmmm. Not sure why. I just tried it and it worked as expected. You are correct that you choose title but have to type "track - title" in the space to the right. Then you have to say ok and run this conversion. And I don't think I used []. I'm away from computer now. But you can try that and see if it works as a test on a sample file.
        Last edited by garym; 08-29-2014, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Also. Your files are not write protected. And where are they? On nas? If so, move one to local computer and try.

Comment

• Ratvandal
            • Aug 2014

They are on My PC. I can for example move Title to Comment field no trouble but this seems problematical and I can't see any detailed help on it. I would have thought this is looking for a Track - Title Field but just continues without giving an error message.
            Last edited by Ratvandal; 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Hmmm. Something simple must be wrong. It should just work. You are sure these test files have a value in the track tag field?

ps there is no track title field. You are just making the title field contain a new value, which is a combination of track number and title.

and to be clear. In map title is on left and track - title is on right
              Last edited by garym; 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Ratvandal
                • Aug 2014

Yes 18 tracks in all in my test (FLAC file). Can u explain why this should end up in the Title field and not the track field - looking at the limited help it seems to be a copy from to? I would have thought the logic would be in the to field Title Track - Title, otherwise how does it know where to put it?

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ratvandal
                  Yes 18 tracks in all in my test (FLAC file). Can u explain why this should end up in the Title field and not the track field - looking at the limited help it seems to be a copy from to? I would have thought the logic would be in the to field Title Track - Title, otherwise how does it know where to put it?
                  Track field is numeric. It won't hold text. Have you tried it the way I suggested. In map, title on left and track - title on right.

Comment

• Ratvandal
                    • Aug 2014

Sorry about this and thanks for the time but Yes I have. As far as I can work out it is ignoring the Track field and simply putting the Title field back where it came from. As A Test I've tried Title (on left) Genre - Comment (on right) all I get in the comment field is the Title field contents? It seems to be ignoring the first entry in the to box and treating the second one as the destination.

Comment

• Ratvandal
                      • Aug 2014

Hi - just to let u know I've worked out how to do this in MP3 Tag. There is a Tag - Tag Option. In the Field Box u select TITLE, and in the format string box its %TRACK% %TITLE%. U have to make sure the Poweramp pads track numbers to 2 digits when ripping. Works fine

Comment

• Ratvandal
                        • Aug 2014

Here is the proper syntax for using the Convert in the Batch Converter.
                        In Converting To, Select ID TAG UPdate
                        Then Select Manipulation
                        Then Select Rule Based Manipulation
                        Select Set and put in a rule along these lines:-

If Comment=
                        Set Title=[Track] [Title]

Note I use comment because it is always a blank field and this is rule based so you must have an If
                        Note Make sure you set poweramp to pad to 2 digit track field ie 01, 02 etc

Hope this helps.

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Good to see you got it working. Still seems odd that the basic method I mentioned earlier that works on my flac and mp3 files didn't work for you. But you've got a method that works for you so that's good.

Comment

• Ratvandal
                            • Aug 2014

Yes very strange. I concluded that the map option was a simple replacement of the contents of one field with another - which it implies in the limited help section. The DSP suggestion makes life a lot easier when ripping new CDs, but I can't use this process on all my old CD rips as many of them only have single digit track numbers in 1 -9. I don't know why all player apps don't use track numbers to sort in the By Folder option. Alphabetical is fine for video but a complete waste of time for audio.
                            However it is much easier now. Thanks again.

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Mp3tag can auto change all your existing track numbers to 2 digits (01, 02, etc) in one batch.

Comment

Working...

]]>