title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Confusing Problem with Version 15.1. Cover art related???

Confusing Problem with Version 15.1. Cover art related???

Hello:

I have been using dBpoweramp and CD Ripper for 6 years with good success. I upgraded from version 14 to 15.1 a couple of weeks ago and everything seemed to be going OK – I ripped approximately 15 CDs without any problems. But today I ran into a strange problem.

I am attempting to rip a new boxed set of recently-released classical music from Warner Classics entitled “Karajan Official Remastered Edition: Sibelius (1976-1981).” Warner purchased record label EMI and is reissuing newly re-mastered material originally recorded by EMI (in this case) in 1976-1981, conducted by Herbert von Karajan.

When I tried to rip the first CD in the boxed set, the ripping process proceeded very slowly (x4 to x6), and then needed “Pass 2” – again very slowly. Following these two passes, there were many frames that required re-ripping (more than 30,000!). The CD was brand new and clean to begin with, but I cleaned it and tried again with the same result. I tried the second CD in the boxed set with the same result. I typically scan the CD cover art and write the scans to separate files and use the CD Ripper option of “Load from File” before I start each rip. That’s what I did for these CDs as well. I noticed that the cover art automatically generated from the internet was mistakenly the old EMI boxed set “Karajan – The Complete Recordings 1946 – 1984.”

Obviously something was wrong and I couldn’t wait for 30,000+ frames to be re-ripped. (BTW, this is the first time I ever got a message that more than a few frames had to be re-ripped.)

Here are a few ideas I tried:

1)… I uninstalled 15.1 and reinstalled 14 and tried again. No change – exact same problem. So I reinstalled 15.1.
    2)… I ran CD Ripper as an Administrator – same result.

Then I tried again, this time intentionally leaving the incorrect cover art as generated from the internet (the old EMI cover), and … it worked fine! Huh??? All tracks ripped with the status showing as “Accurate (1)”. I gather this means only one other person has ripped the new re-mastered CD and forwarded the rip information to Accuraterip.

Any ideas on what caused this problem? And what can I do to rip these CDs with the correct artwork from files?

Sorry to be long winded, but I know of no other way to communicate my frustrating and confusing problem.

Thanks for any advice.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Confusing Problem with Version 15.1. Cover art related???

Check whether the cd has some sort of copy protection? Also, does accuraterip flag the cd up as being in the database?

Accuraterip does show it being in the database. I'm not sure how to check for copy protection, but as outlined above, I do rip it to my hard drive -- but with the incorrect cover art.

Thanks for your comment.

Hi MBlue,

Just found your thread as a result of having similar problems.

I have purchased 4 sets of the Karajan Remastered cd's including the Sibelius box set, all up 27 cds, in recent weeks.

I've been using dbpoweramp v14 for quite some time, having ripped most of my 3000+ disc collection and have never before experienced so many significant errors, as you have mentioned, as with the Karajan sets. Yes - especially the very slow speeds.

The Sibelius set has particularly bad frames, reporting as high 50,000+ on various tracks.
    I have persisted though, with limiting re-rip option at 12,500 and 2 secure passes to get as many reasonable rips as possible.
    As for anything higher than 12,500 I have simply taken the basic rip option without secure checking so I can do a full listening test on them, before deciding on whether to commit them to my permanent PC library.

The other sets I have with similar issues are(but not quite so bad):

Bruckner, Franck, Debussy etc - 1970-81
    Brahms, Bruckner, Wagner etc 1970-81
    Karajan and Soloists II 1969-84

I really think this is a manufacturing issue because of the consistency of the problem, not experienced with any other label or collection I have.

At least the discs all play on my Cambridge 840C.

Good luck

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The manufacturer would typically list copy protection somewhere in the fine print inside the CD booklet or on the back of the CD. Copy protection was never part of the Red Book standard, so any CD that has copy protection is legally not in compliance with the standard. It can throw your DVD or Blu-ray drive off when ripping. But what you experience does look strange.

Why not jut rip them with the wrong artwork then replace folder.jpg with the correct one? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for comments and additional information.

Ratvandal ... I ran into additional problems and couldn't rip much of anything of the Warner Classics CDs (independent of cover art). My original theory (that it seemed related to the artwork) was a mistake on my part. If the problem had been constrained to the artwork, I would have simply replaced the folder.jpg file as you suggested. In fact I have done that on several files. I should have added another post to this thread but it appeared the thread was dying a slow death anyway.

Tassie57 and PepsiCan ... yes, I do agree the problem may be related to some sort of copy protection scheme although it's puzzling to me how it seems sometimes to block the rip and sometimes not. Or ... could it be the fact that I was having problems with remastered versions? See more below.

Tassie57 ... Thanks very much for your input including an overview of your experiences. I have now purchased three of the Karajan Official Remastered sets:

1. Sibelius 1976 - 1981
    2. Karajan and his Soloists I (1948 - 1958)
    3. Karajan and his Soloists II (1969 - 1984)

I also purchased another Warner Classics boxed set a few months ago that I hadn't gotten a chance to rip yet ... "Richard Strauss - Complete Orchestral Works" with Rudolf Kempe conducting. This set is also a remastered version of an existing boxed set. Let's call this set *4.

I purchased a new Buffalo external CD writer hoping it would rip Sibelius (*1) -- it didn't. I had other issues with the Buffalo unit and returned it to Amazon for a full refund. I then reported my problems on the Sibelius set to the Amazon Marketplace partner from whom I had purchased it and they sent a free replacement set. And ... you guessed it ... I couldn't rip that one either! My HP PC (Windows 7) desktop wouldn't rip the Sibelius box. I had problems with exactly the same tracks. Ugh.

Then I tried one more idea. I tried ripping the Sibelius box using dBpoweramp on my wife's computer (HP/Windows 7) and ... success. It ripped the 4 discs quick and true without a hiccup! Since her computer and mine are both on our home network (via powerline adapters), I then "copy and pasted" the folders with the music to my computer. Slow but effective.

Emboldened with this success, I opened box *2 and tried ripping the CDs on my computer. It worked -- but none of these files were shown as being in AccuratRip so it went slowly ... but it worked.

I then tried box *4 on my computer -- no luck. It wouldn't even rip -- I got "error" messages for each and every file. I went downstairs and tried again on my wife's computer -- success again without any issues whatsoever! All nine CDs ripped quickly and perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to open *3 yet so I can provide no further information on that set.

So ... I am still confused about why I am unable to rip some of these files on my computer. Is it a manufacturing problem at Warner Classics? Is it some sort of copy protection scheme? Is it somehow related to these tracks being remastered versions of existing commercial CDs? That seems possible since the Strauss set (not part of the Karajan series) gave me problems.

But I am (so far) able to muscle through the problem in one way or another. That's where I stand right now.

Thanks again for your input and ideas. Good luck to you too.

OT: I am very impressed with the quality of the Karajan remastered tracks. Spectacular, really. They sound like the EMI engineers recorded them last year rather than 50 years ago!
    Last edited by MBlue72; 09-03-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Correct typos and garbled expressions

dBpoweramp Guru

I'd be very suspicious that the problem is the CD drive in your computer. If you are technically/mechanically inclined, I'd remove it, open it up, CAREFULLY clean the lens, make sure the carriage moves freely on the tracks and reassemble. If it is a desktop, consider simply replacing the drive. And it may be simply that the CD drive in your computer and the disks from the replication house making those CD's are at opposite ends of the tolerance window.

Schmidj,

Yes I was thinking the same thing. But I am not very comfortable replacing the drive. I had to replace a NVIDIA GeForce video card a couple of years ago and practically had a heart attack. Instead of fooling around with the on-board CD drive, I purchased a Buffalo MediaStation external Blu-Ray burner a few weeks ago. I thought it would be faster than the OEM burner and give me the capability of burning to Blu-Ray too (for data backup). But it didn’t read the Sibelius boxed set either and when I tested it on other CDs, it ripped at slow speeds. Buffalo tech support was slow to respond and of little help so I returned it for a refund.

I am considering purchasing an external LG Blu-Ray burner (and using it for ripping CDs too). But I’m not sure it would do any better than the Buffalo external drive.

If I were to get up the courage to replace the CD drive on my HP computer, is it a difficult task? Any specific recommendations of an internal drive?

Thanks for your input.

I have 4 CD drives available to me and when I hit a problem with one I can often get a better result on another. Replacing your CD drive may work, but external drives are simpler if you have problems with your heart. I have found that dedicated CD readers by and large give the best results and these can be picked up very cheaply so why not buy two different ones? failing that the solution is obvious - stay friends with your wife!

Ratvandal,

I think you have an excellent point. So much so that I just ordered a Samsung external CD drive from Amazon ($29.99). We’ll see how it does on these quirky Warner discs (I see another thread here mentioning problems ripping Warner CDs).

As for my heart – I was kidding. My heart is fine … I just get nervous getting inside my computer.

As for staying friends with my wife … we've been friends for 49 years (married for 44). I think/hope my chances are good. And her mother said we’d never last …

Thanks.

It's interesting and I'm sure Spoon would know the answer, but can your internal CD drive play the CDs? If it can, why cannot they be ripped?
    49 years seems long enough to let you use her CD drive when required!

Yes, that is part of the mystery. These CDs play perfectly on my CD player and using my computer. But using the same drive on my computer, they don't rip.

Thanks to your persistence I had another go at ripping my Karajan (4) sets.

What I did though was to use another drive - actually the built in drive on my laptop instead of my external Pioneer drive.

Because I was using this drive for the first time I went thru the dbpoweramp configuration steps and in particular I re-ran the C2 detection.

Guess what - this drive ripped away happily, slow in some cases, rarely going for more than 2 passes, but no significant re-rips required.

It could rip tracks, that my external Pioneer drive, even after I re-ran C2 for this as well, simply could not handle. So now I have all 4 sets sorted.

The lesson is I suppose that all drives are not created equal??
    And now its time to get back to listening to "Herbie"