title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: example of reading/writing xml metadata?

example of reading/writing xml metadata?

I was wondering if there are any examples of using the "write metadata file" and "read metadata file" DSP options.

Perhaps some detailed information on how they work, what tags the "read" option looks for, etc.

Thanks
    Gary

Administrator

Re: example of reading/writing xml metadata?

If you specify no xml definition file, all the tags are written and all tags are read in the format it expects.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you specify no xml definition file, all the tags are written and all tags are read in the format it expects.
    Where do you specify an XML definition file? "Read metadata file" only allows for an XSLT file selection.

(Apologies if this is a dumb question -- I'm just starting out with dbpoweramp. Some examples would be really helpful.)

Administrator

Yes the XSLT file specifies which fields are written to the XML and the layout.

What about reading from an XML file? How do I assign a source XML?

Administrator

Try using the write xml effect, then use the read xml to read the same xml. This will show the default format required.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try using the write xml effect, then use the read xml to read the same xml. This will show the default format required.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what these effects are used for. Do they always have to be used together, in series? Is "Read metadata file" only able to translate/transform the output of "Write metadata file"?

I think the idea is you use the writexml to export the metadata from each audio file as it is read, then you can use readxml to read the metadata into the converted file.
    But between the write and read you can use an xlst file to make necessary adjustments to the xml before it is read into the new file.

For example, ID3 metadata (e.g wav/mp3/aif) often uses TXXX fields for custom data it allows you to store name and value, when dbpoweramp converts to VorbisComments (e.g ogg/flac) it creates a field for each TXXX frame with the same name as the name. But sometimes there a conversion is needed such TXXX:MusicBrainz Album Id in ID3 should be MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID in VorbisComments. DbPoweramp doesnt do this by default but you can use xslt to change MusicBrainz Album Id to MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID in the xml, so then it is read correctly into the Flac/Ogg file.

My question is, are there any example XLST files available to get us started ?

Where do you put the xml files so they can be read before ripping/converting?