title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset 4.3 loses folder location

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Asset 4.3 loses folder location

Hi, I'm trying out the trial version of Asset 4.3 as I'm considering buying a QNAP NAS drive. My music files are currently stored on several WD MyBookLive network drives which I've mapped as drives on my PC.

Because of the size of my music library it is split over 3 WD drives and split between CD and Hi-Res formats. I initially set up Asset to watch my CD library while I worked out how to customise the browse tree etc. to separate CD and HR files using the customised "mood" tag. I then added a single folder from one of my Hi-Res drives and this all worked OK. This morning I've added all the folders from my 2 Hi-Res drives and restarted Asset which performed a rescan and has "lost" the CD library. I've checked using both my current control points (Naim n-stream on i-pad and JRiver Media Centre 19) and the Asset library does not contain any of my CD flac files.

The CD library folder (V:\Shared Music\FLAC Archive\) appears in the advanced config. and also in the MediaFoldersWatch.txt file which shows:

V:\Shared Music\FLAC Archive\
    X:\Shared Music\HR Music\
    U:\Shared Music\Hi Res Music\

The Library, as it stands, contains 34,027 tracks in 3,421 albums but has lost the 1,680 CD albums that were on it before the rescan/restart.

Administrator

Re: Asset 4.3 loses folder location

If the network drive disappeared for a short time, Asset would remove the tracks from the index. You can disable the option in configuration for asset to auto scan on changes if this is likely to happen.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well there's a thing. Rebooting my PC got uMediaLibrary.exe and uMediaLibrary-ReadTags.exe to swing into action and after that my CD library has reappeared.

Problem seems to be solved.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If the network drive disappeared for a short time, Asset would remove the tracks from the index. You can disable the option in configuration for asset to auto scan on changes if this is likely to happen.
    Can't see any such option in the AssetUPnP Configuration dialog box. Nothing like this option available when I select "Edit" for the Advanced Settings. Perhaps because I only have the trial version?

It's gonna be a real pain if Asset keeps losing parts of my library especially as it takes ages for each rescan. Presumably if the QNAP goes asleep Asset will lose the whole library. I can't believe that's correct. :(

Administrator

The option is called 'Detect and catalog new tracks' uncheck this.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The option is called 'Detect and catalog new tracks' uncheck this.
    Well I did that and, of course the program then has to do a rescan (another couple of hours) and has now lost the contents of the X:\Shared Music\HR Music folder.

I'm sure it will reappear after yet another lengthy scan if I reboot my PC but I'm now spending more time on this than I want to.

Administrator

When does it lose the contents? after you restart the PC?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Spoon

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Everything reappears when restart my PC. The problem tends to arise if I add a new location or make an amendment using the edit option in the Configuration dialog. When I've done that Asset will rescan but then show fewer tracks/albums than before I made the change and a directory will have disappeared when I check via my control points (JRiver MC19 and nstream).

Howver today it's been acting properly even though I've added a location for my playlist files.

I think I may be doing something wrong when closing down the edit/config dialog box after it says that Asset will restart. Should I just click on OK and then on OK on the config dialog box?

Administrator

Normally you would not change those options that often, as they can be fundamental options which affect the whole database and will require a refresh from scratch.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Still having problems I'm afraid. Have been listening to music files stored on my V drive (CD format) and then tried to play hires files from my X drive but these won't play on either my naim streamer "Can't Play Skipped Track" or via JRiver on my PC . I've gone into Config which shows all the file locations (it also shows the correct number of tracks/albums) so I thought I'd look at adding a new folder on my X drive and all my network drives apart from the V drive are shown as unavailable (red X) in Asset's explorer window. Oddly enough I can still navigate through to individual folder levels but the drive status remains the same. The mapped network drives aren't asleep (I've disabled this function in their settings). They are showing as active in Windows Explorer and I've managed to open and play files on my X drive by opening them directly using foobar.

Is this a known issue?
    Last edited by sjbabbey; 07-28-2014 at 01:10 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Restarting asset via config. seems to restore the connection to my other drives (they are no longer X'd through in the explorer window) and the files can then be played.

Administrator

>and all my network drives apart from the V drive are shown as unavailable (red X) in Asset's explorer window.

This is a windows explorer window, even though it is shown in asset, it is a standard windows component. If they show unavailable, then they are unavailable to Windows at that point in time. It sounds like there is a password issue.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The drives aren't passworded. However, it does seem that the drive mapping might be disconnecting if the drives are inactive for an extended period. This isn't an issue when using the computer itself since I can reestablish the mapping by simply clicking on the drive in Windows Explorer but it seems that asset cannot reestablish its link to the network folder so easily without being restarted.

Hopefully this won't be an issue when I'm using the QNAP since I should only have the one mapped network drive in use then.

dBpoweramp Guru

>and all my network drives apart from the V drive are shown as unavailable (red X) in Asset's explorer window.

This sounds like a long-standing Windows "issue". If Windows tries to map the drive at start-up before the network path to it is up and running, you will get the red "X". This is often the case if the computer being booted is using WiFi, which has to negotiate a path. It can, and does sometimes happen also with a wired Ethernet path. A professional radio station playback system that used NAS storage got around this by starting a script which waited ten seconds and then ran the map drive command. That way, the network path was pretty certain to be available when the drive was being mapped.