title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Reliable software for DLNA streaming

Reliable software for DLNA streaming

Hi,
    I use Asset UPnP to stream my music from Windows media player to my Onkyo A/V receiver via DLNA. My music collection is on a hard drive plugged into my modem/router and has a mapped drive on my pc. Pretty simple set up and when it works well I'm happy.

The problem is that for some reason the library rebuilds itself all the time and it takes ages. I want to be able to switch on the computer and start streaming but I can't whilst it's rebuilding. I don't know whether this is a Windows media player thing or an asset thing but it's driving me crazy.

I like to be able to browse by album art (not essential) and drag a few across into a playlist, shuffle them up and let it go. That's it. I tried Asset control which would be good but it's too buggy and freezes all the time.

Can anybody recommend me a simple program that will allow me to browse my albums, make a list and stream it to my A/V receiver? I'm happy to pay for it if it's going to work and be hassle free.

Cheers,
    Nick

Administrator

Re: Reliable software for DLNA streaming

If you are using Windows Media Player, it is possible that it is the server not asset.

When asset is rescanning the database, it should still allow all tracks to be played.

Can you recommend another program? I liked Control except for the freezing. Is there anything similar to that out there?
    Open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Administrator

I do not have any recommendations sorry.

Oh, great. Regretting purchasing this now. I can't believe there's no program out there to do this. Is Control ever going to be fixed up?

If anyone else with a similar set up has any opinions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Administrator

Asset Control was never for purchase, it was going to be a free control point.

I'm amazed that there still isn't a simple player for Windows that reflects upnp server menus. Media Player is hopeless and the other ones out there that have upnp plugins and buried menu options are designed to do the job as an afterthought in a less than easy manner. I've got all kinds of hardware players and all I want is the basic menu functionality they have in a screen on a PC, playing back on a PC.

Anyway, the best I've found is XMBC. It is overkill and it takes a bit of patience to remove all its various features that I don't need from the menus and to have it running as an audio player but here's its opening screen once the config has been done (this is with Twonky but it will show Asset menus if you are using that):

xmbc1.jpg

You can show list or album art views (slide in left hand menu) and either right click a track to queue it:

xmbc2.jpg

or change the config menu so that just selecting a track queues it:

xmbc3.jpg

[edit] It also does gapless mp3 playback - there's a very faint click as tracks change but that is to be expected with mp3.
    Last edited by Rezillo; 07-25-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Administrator

foobar2000 with the UPnP add on

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stickler View Post
    Can you recommend another program? I liked Control except for the freezing. Is there anything similar to that out there?
    Open to all suggestions.
    Have a look at foobar2000 or JRiver Media Center windows players, and see if they act as UPnP/DLNA clients.

Linn's Kinsky works like a charm for me. (on all platforms)

Thanks for your replies folks I'll check out your suggestions.

I have tried foobar2000 but I can't work out how to stream the music to the receiver.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stickler View Post
    Thanks for your replies folks I'll check out your suggestions.

I have tried foobar2000 but I can't work out how to stream the music to the receiver.
    have you installed the upnp component?

dBpoweramp Guru

Media Monkey on the PC can now, in the current version work as a UPNP controller, although the setup is well hidden. You have to add the options page to the menu bar, open it and click on the player line, not on any of the sub categories. When the player box opens, you can select choose player as UPNP renderer and select your playback device. Then on the dropdown directory on the left side, select media servers, select the server you want, drill down through the menus to the music you want. I see my Asset server there, it does take some time to populate the next level of the menu when I click on it. It does seem to control my Yamaha receiver well and play properly.

Once you get it set up, the user interface seems cleaner to me than Foobar 2000.

PS, the free version works fine in this application, you don't need the "gold".

Well I kind of got foobar working. I got it up and running nicely displaying album art and scrolling lyrics etc but that functionality seems to go out the window if you're streaming via upnp/DLNA (forgive me if my terminology is wrong). I could bluetooth it but it loses volume and doesn't seem to sound as good.
    I can now add a whole album to a playlist (not single songs) and play it over my Onkyo but at this stage I'm having to press play again for each song on the album which is not what I want. WMP would be perfect is the bloody thing did not rebuild the library almost every time I open it up.
    I will give Media Monkey a go and see what happens.
    Thanks again