title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can it use Multiple CPUs?

Question Can it use Multiple CPUs?

Is there a setting to get the ripper to use multiple cpus?
    It rips a single track while cueing another. That's it?

I have Quad Core HT [8].

......or is this on purpose for quality control (I'm currently ripping to flac).

Administrator

Re: Can it use Multiple CPUs?

The CD drive is 100x slower than encoding to FLAC, that is why it will not use all the cores.

Yeah, I figured it was a drive technology issue.:blush:
    Thanks for your help!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Byutifl Music View Post
    Yeah, I figured it was a drive technology issue.:blush:
    Thanks for your help!
    Hmm....seems odd. I've used it on several quad-core machines, with different optical drives, of course, and I usually get lots of tracks encoding simultaneously. Are you using a registered version of dBp?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Hmm....seems odd. I've used it on several quad-core machines, with different optical drives, of course, and I usually get lots of tracks encoding simultaneously. Are you using a registered version of dBp?
    On multicore machines I have many tracks encoding simultaneously if I'm simply converting (e.g., from FLAC to mp3 or even FLaC to FLAC). So with 8 cores, I'd have 8 files encoding simultaneously. But when *ripping* a CD I've never had it use any more than two cores (one track ripping and one track finalizing encoding).

Post Re: Can it use Multiple CPUs?

First off, the title of the post should refer to "multi-cores" not cpus. Apparently there is a time limit on ability to edit, unlike some other forums (but everyone seems to understand me anyway ).

My experiences have been identical to "garym's". Yes, BrodyBoy, I've been using paid since dBpa 14 (currently using 15).