title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: WMA Lossless support?

WMA Lossless support?

I have about 50,000 tracks in WMA lossless format and a brand new LG HR936T tuner/recorder device sitting under the TV in the living room as the house's new media player.

When I install Asset (just the trial at this stage) and point it at one of my audio directories, the config screen declares it's found 76 files. I run round to the TV and browse with the LG to the networked music folders and I can see them all and all the individual files. But it won't play them: it merely flicks between each track silently until it reaches the end of the list.

I then altered the Asset config and pointed it at a temporary directory in which I'd copied the lossless WMA files and converted them to MP3 files. Refreshed the config, went back to the TV, browsed as before... and this time the music played fine.

So, long story short: LG device using DLNA can "see" WMA lossless files and folders, but can't actually get any music out of them, but the same setup has no problem playing files if they are in MP3 format.

My question: is WMA Lossless supported by Asset UPnP out of the box, or do I have to (somehow) install an appropriate codec first? Is there a transcoding configuration option I'm missing, perhaps? If it's not a codec issue, is there any way I can play WMA Lossless recordings via DLNA/UPnP, or is this some inherent limitation in the protocols or my particular choice of living room hardware? The short version is that I'd rather not have to copy and convert my entire WMA library. And whilst I know I could use FLAC or some other lossless codec, I'd prefer to stick to proprietary Windows formats if possible :-)

(Incidentally, the LG manual states that for "Music files...via DLNA .wma extension is supported". Of course, it doesn't distinguish between "ordinary" wma's and lossless ones, so that's probably not much help to anyone).

Administrator

Re: WMA Lossless support?

Asset supports it yes (but only the Windows versions of Asset), you should set WMA to transcode to WAVE on the configuration >> advanced page as the LG will not be able to play wma lossless.

Re: WMA Lossless support?

AH. You made me look at the 'Audio Format Streaming' option again. I hadn't realised you could click the 'As is' words to select alternatives. I do now. Your help is appreciated, and an order is probably in the offing.