title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

iTunes Sound Check not recognizing the Comment iTunNORM Tag

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lmschris
    • Jul 2014

iTunes Sound Check not recognizing the Comment iTunNORM Tag

iTunes Sound Check does not appear to be recognizing the Comment iTunNORM tags added with ReplayGain DSP. I’m using dBpoweramp 15.1 with the latest RG DSP. The iTunes version is 11.2.0.115 (on Windows 7).

I have my CD Library stored as flac files and am converting to mp3 copies to use with iTunes, which I also sync to my iPhone. I’m using the Lame encoder with the ReplayGain DSP. For the options, I’m writing Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization. Advanced options are Albums Identified by Album ID, Gain Calculation using EBU R128 (with -18 target) and Disable Clip-Prevention is checked.

After the conversion, I can confirm that the “Comment iTunNORM” tags exist in the mp3 files and contain the usual iTunes Sound Check strings of 8-digit numbers. However when I add the folder with the mp3 files to iTunes, it’s not recognizing the Sound Check data in Comment iTunNORM and instead has to analyze each mp3 file, displaying “Determining Audio Volume” (very time consuming). It goes through this process regardless of selecting Track or Album setting as well as using the RG Utility Codec (R4) to directly write the tags.

To test the situation, I used Mp3tag to overwrite the Comment iTunNORM tags in the mp3 files with its own utility and re-added the mp3 folder to iTunes (after removing the old files, of course) and they imported immediately, bypassing the volume analysis. Each song immediately had the correct ReplayGain info in the library (“Sound Check” info, to be specific) and the volume normalization worked correctly.

When looking at the tags, I notice that the Mp3tag Sound Check data in the Comment iTunNORM tag is a little different than the ones written by dBpoweramp, however even when copying and pasting the data from the Mp3tag tags over to the mp3 files created by dBpoweramp, the tags are still not recognized. This leads me to believe there’s something not right in the way the Comment iTunNORM tags are embedded in the mp3 files.

Any idea why iTunes is recognizing the tags created by Mp3tag but not dBpoweramp?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: iTunes Sound Check not recognizing the Comment iTunNORM Tag

I can confirm:

1. The values written to the Comment iTunNORM tag by MP3Tag differ to the values written by dBpoweramp

2. When the Comment iTunNORM is written using MP3Tag, iTunes DOES NOT display 'Determining Audio Volume', but when written by dBpoweramp, iTunes DOES display 'Determining Audio Volume' (when files are added to the library)

Hopefully, someone can explain why?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Possible bug noted.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• imeric
        • Mar 2011

n
        Last edited by imeric; 09-03-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>