title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Network not expanding in CDWriter

Network not expanding in CDWriter

The Writer source box shows all as normal but the Network will not expand to allow access to my music files in the Vortexbox.
    All other sources expand OK and the last time this was used to create a compilation CD, Network expanded OK.
    Everything is connected as before, the only possible thing that's different is that the IP addresses have changed due to power outages but everything (except CDWriter.exe?) has been rebooted and now connects/plays.

Is the IP address the problem and if so how can I correct things please?

Thanks
    Last edited by dtw5; 05-29-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Administrator

Re: Network not expanding in CDWriter

Map the network share to a drive, then it will work.

Thanks. I followed this instruction: Click the 'start menu' of the Windows OS, right click on 'Computer' and choose Map network drive'.
    This opened a dialog box, Drive Z offered, I don't know which to choose; Folder box is blank (I don't know what to put in here), I browsed here for options and it offered 'Network' with my computer (I think), this wouldn't expand (access was denied and it tells me the network is not present or started even though I'm listening to the VB and looking at it with Logitech Media Server on the computer). The dialog box's 'Finish' remained greyed out. (I don't know what I'm doing).

I should say that as well as the above I'm able to access the Vortexbox from my computer using Explorer, and see all of the music I want to access with CDWriter.

I appreciate your help but if this is too far away from being a CDWriter issue maybe I should look elsewhere for help and not trouble you. Is the IP address the problem then do you think?

Thanks again
    Last edited by dtw5; 05-29-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Administrator

You would map to a drive letter, such as Z

once working you can look at your computer and there will be a drive z, it will be the network share. Restart CD writer and it will allow you to select drive z

Thanks again. The dialog box requires a Folder box entry to 'ungrey' the 'Finish' and I don't know what to put in here, would this be the name of my Vortexbox or what?

If all this works why did I never have to do it before? CDWriter worked straight out of the box as far as I can remember. This Mapping exercise has never been carried out by me.
    Last edited by dtw5; 05-29-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Administrator

Open Windows Explorer, browse to the Network item, expand it, then right click on the share >> Map Network drive

Sorry, I've been away. Via Start I've tried the only two actions I could find with Windows Explorer. 1 took me to Libraries which did not include Network. 2 took me to Recent Items which listed Network, this opened to show everything on the network except the VortexBox i.e. 1 x Computer; 8 x Media Devices (varies) and 1 x Network Infrastructure. No Mapping options are offered anywhere. Right clicks just open Windows Media Player (which I don't use).
    My ignorance isn't helping at all here, I'm going to try to find other ways of opening Windows Explorer which might then provide the option you suggest.
    I say again previously CDWriter worked 'straight out of the box'.

Administrator

Which windows version do you have?

Windows 7. Just to repeat, everything is playing normally etc. (see my post 05-29-2014, 05:47 PM). The Ethernet connections are: VB / Router / Computer.

Administrator

if you open a windows file explorer (start >> Computer), select the Network item on the left panel, at the bottom and wait for the share to appear under the Computer heading.

Hi Spoon, in spite of not understanding why Mapping the Drive should have suddenly become necessary, in the end I paid someone with more Windows knowledge than I have to have a go at this. As well as his own ideas he tried everything you had suggested but no success. He said Mapping the drive beyond its current state is not possible because the VB (with its internal LMS) is self-contained and cannot be mapped (don't ask me).
    He suggested the path previously opened by CDWriter has somehow been lost or corrupted, so he searched for a setting that would tell it how to once more open the Network but there doesn't seem to be any. He suggested I reinstall dBp/CDw. If I could remember how to do this I might try.
    The alternative, which is considerably less grief than going through these various options, is to drag my selections from the VB to my laptop and let CDWriter work from that source. Although irritating this deals with the Mapping issue but adds a few steps to the process.
    If anyone discovers what has gone wrong, I'd be interested to know. Thanks for your attention so far.