title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problems getting metadata

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mccormw
    • May 2014

Problems getting metadata

I have just received a copy of 'Frank Sinatra Masterworks' which is a box set of 15 of his Capitol albums. Some albums are two to a CD.

I have also purchased a copy of dbPowerAmp CD Ripper. Which I have installed on E: rather than C:

My PC is running Windows 7 with all latest updates and I am copying to a NAS drive but I will probably change that later and rip to a local drive and then do a DOS copy over.

My problem is that I am not picking up any Metadata, not even the stuff that is on the CD, Winamp pulls in track title, album name and a few other things but CD Ripper is not even pulling in any track titles.

Any ideas anyone?

Bill
    Last edited by mccormw; 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM.
  • mccormw
    • May 2014

Re: Problems getting metadata

I have turned off my firewall and retried and this make no difference, still no metadata.

In options it tells me that AccurateRip is unconfigured (waiting for key disc etc). What is a Key Disk?

Comment

• mccormw
      • May 2014

OK I understand why I was getting confused about the key disc - the Sinatra discs just get ignored and don't trigger the configuration. I put in another disc and the configuration gets done and my disc is configured. But Is till see NO meta data when I put on of Frank's discs in.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You get a track listing for the Sinatra discs? but with no metadata?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mccormw
          • May 2014

No I don't get a track list, the tracks are just labelled 'Track 1', Track 2' etc

But it was OK when I used a Philip Glass CD which caused the configuration to be done OK.
          Last edited by mccormw; 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• mccormw
            • May 2014

I will answer my own question now as nobody seems interested.
            The Sinatra box set was obviously not yet on any of the music databases CD Ripper uses, fair enough. But, why does WinAmp do so much better at this?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Winamp uses a different database. Comparing single discs in not representative as there are over 2 million different CDs in existence, dBpoweramp will have CDs that Winamp does not have, and the other way also.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mccormw
                • May 2014

So the database that Winamp uses is its own one, it is not a public database? I see now cheers.

I have to say that CD Ripper does do a much better job of handling meta data - once you get used to it. It's just that it was confusing that the first CD I tried it on was not in any od the databases you use because nothing that the documentation was saying should happen was happening! The thing about the drive configuration was especially confusing.

Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Winamp uses Gracenote.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• d2b
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Aug 2010

Why doesn't dBpoweramp use Gracenote? Is it cost-driven? I'd gladly pay a little more for that option.

"d2b"

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Gracenote have refused to license us for 10 years straight, our money must not be needed (although you would think that Sony would need all the money it can get).
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• d2b
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
                        Gracenote have refused to license us for 10 years straight, our money must not be needed (although you would think that Sony would need all the money it can get).

Gracenote have big ties to Apple/iTunes. Apple's thoughts probably run along this line: " We want to encourage users that want to add digital music to their collection to use the iTunes media player interface to rip CDs...or better yet, go to the iTunes store and buy the tracks there."

I'd bet that the license terms for the Gracenote/iTunes connection prohibit Gracenote from licensing their service to CD ripper competition but not to digital media editors like Audacity.

Does any other ripper application like dBpoweramp use Gracenote, other than iTunes?

"d2b"

Comment

Working...

]]>