title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Files Not in iTunes Library

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rogerdn
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2011

Files Not in iTunes Library

My latest albums when ripping go to my external music drive as they should, showing in Finder, but are not showing up in iTunes. I have not deliberately (at least) changed any settings and iTunes still shows the proper media folder location, ie, Preferences/Advanced. My player is Amarra which uses the iTunes library.

Don't know if this is related but they no longer rip to a folder, just individual tracks which I have to move.

I am ripping on a laptop over my LAN to a Mini server with the external drive, and it reports successful rips. This has worked for me with no issues for several years for hundreds of albums.

Any help is appreciated.
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: Files Not in iTunes Library

There are two ways to get your rips into iTunes:

(1) Set CD Ripper to send all rips to the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. In this case, iTunes will rename and move/organize the files using its own filing "system." This can get messy, but it will get the new music into iTunes.

(2) Manually add the new files/folders to the iTunes library. From within iTunes, you go to File > Add Folder to library, navigate to where the new rips are, select them and add.

Comment

• rogerdn
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Mar 2011

Thks for for reply, for 1) assume you mean in dbPowerAmp, but I don't see where to set this. Nothing in 'Options'. Or do you mean iTunes ?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rogerdn
        Thks for for reply, for 1) assume you mean in dbPowerAmp, but I don't see where to set this. Nothing in 'Options'. Or do you mean iTunes ?
        Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear.

In CD Ripper, down in the lower left corner, there's a little window where you set the PATH for where you want the music ripped to. (And sorry for the bad English....yikes!) You want to the rips to go specifically to the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder....it's a sub-folder of the iTunes>Media>Music folder. Every time iTunes starts, it checks that folder for new music. If it finds any, it moves it into its own filing system and indexes the music into the iTunes library. (So it essentially empties that folder every time it opens.)

Comment

• rogerdn
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Mar 2011

Ok I see Path, but it is greyed out so cannot access. Is something set wrong that would cause this ?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

You can't click on the SET button next to the window? It should open a pop-up where you actually browse for & set the destination path.

If it's completely inaccessible, I suspect it may have something to do with your version not being registered. I know there are a bunch of little limitations on the free version.

Comment

• rogerdn
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Mar 2011

I believe it's registered, do you know how would I confirm that ?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

Go to the dBpoweramp folder in your Windows Start menu, and open "Configure dBpoweramp." When the config window opens, it should say, right at the top with the version info, "Registered Reference."

(I should have said Reference version.....not registered.)

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2011

One other thing.....you're not using the Multi-Encoder, are you? PATH is changed in the dialog window for that encoder.

Comment

• rogerdn
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2011

Yes it's registered, release 14.4

Yes I am using multi encoder as I alternately have been ripping to a NAS or the Mini external drive and this eliminates some set up going back and forth.

But looking at a single path set up, I see iTunes but if I select this it's not going to my external drive is it ?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2011

Not sure what you mean..... I thought you'd indicated that the external drive IS the location of your iTunes library.

For the "automated" method of ripping music directly into iTunes, the PATH parameter needs to be your iTunes library location, as specified in File > Preferences > Advanced. Specifically, it needs to go to iTunes\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes folder at that location.

EDIT: If I'm not getting to the heart of your question, then I don't think I'm understanding what you're doing. If that seems to be the case, it'd help if you describe your set-up in more detail, including how things are configured now and what you want it to do that it's not. You've mentioned iTunes, an Amarra player, an external drive, and a NAS....so maybe I'm confused as to what we're dealing with?

My reading of your question was that you expected your dBp rips to show up in iTunes (i.e., in the program itself, as entries in your music library), and that's not happening. This is the only issue I was trying to address, so if that's not the issue, or if there are other factors at play, please clarify.
                      Last edited by BrodyBoy; 04-25-2014, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• rogerdn
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2011

Well yes it is but looking at the path I thought they were different, maybe it's me. I will try a rip tomorrow, thks for all your help.

Comment

• rogerdn
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
                          Not sure what you mean..... I thought you'd indicated that the external drive IS the location of your iTunes library.

My reading of your question was that you expected your dBp rips to show up in iTunes (i.e., in the program itself, as entries in your music library), and that's not happening. This is the only issue I was trying to address, so if that's not the issue, or if there are other factors at play, please clarify.
                          Yes this understanding is correct.

Edit: on further thought my interp may be wrong. Later today when I have time I'll explain my set up.
                          Last edited by rogerdn; 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• rogerdn
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Mar 2011

On second thought I may not understand how players like Amarra use iTunes for the library so maybe the files are not actually 'in the program itself, as entries in your music library' as you say.

To explain my set up I'll start with the way dbPA was set up until recently when I added a NAS. Before the NAS I followed Chris Conner's (of ComputerAudio site) method and used a Windows laptop on my LAN to rip AIFF files to my Mini's external drive, and FLAC's to a second drive on the laptop for an archive file. So it was set up as a Multi Encoder.

This all worked well for several years ripping a lot of albums and using several different players like Pure Music and J River on the Mini which output to a DAC via USB or Ethernet, depending on which I select. Both these players use iTunes for the library, with iTunes set up in Preferences/Advanced media folder location as '/Volumes/mach2 Music', which is my external Mini drive. I assume this is what gets the files into the iTunes library but I'm not sure how this happens. I know iTunes is not the actual player however.

Now when I recently got the NAS I eliminated the archive drive on the laptop so that my current set up is the Mini/External drive, but now running the Amarra player ( which also uses the iTunes library), and the NAS.

So getting back to my current problem, now when I rip the files no longer show up in iTunes, so cannot be played. But they are in my Mach2 external drive, according to Finder/devices. I cannot identify what I might have done to cause this, but I know I could still play ok for awhile following the switch to the NAS, so I don't think it is involved.

Sorry this is so long but hopefully I have explained it well enough for you to understand.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2011

No, it's okay....more detail is better!

I think I get it....you used to do multi-encoder rips, with one copy (AIFF) going to the external drive on your Mac Mini and a FLAC back-up staying on your laptop. You would run a software player on the Mac Mini, using the AIFF files as the source library. Good so far?

A couple questions:
                              1) Just to clarify your recent change....you stopped sending your archive FLAC files to the laptop's 2nd HDD and started sending them to a new NAS on your network? This change, so far as dBp Multi-Encoder is concerned, didn't change anything with the AIFF files? They still go to an external drive attached to the Mac Mini? And Finder confirms that they are indeed going there?

2) I'm not clear how iTunes fits into this scenario. Are you actually using iTunes....the player program....at all? Or is it that the Amarra player uses the iTunes library location by default and we're inferring that new rips aren't "in iTunes" because they're not showing up on the Amarra interface (even though you know they're physically there)?

Comment

Working...

]]>