title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DLNA and ReplayGain

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

DLNA and ReplayGain

Hello

I have FLAC's and MP3's on my NAS DLNA-Mediaserver, use my Android Tablet to control the music I want to listen and have a DLNA-Renderer on the WLAN that connects to my HiFi. This works as supposed. Most of my tracks and/or albums have a RG Tag.
    Which part of the DLNA chain is it that needs to respect the RG-tag and apply the gain correction?

Thanks
    McL

Administrator

Re: DLNA and ReplayGain

Either in the player, I am not aware of any which are compatible, or in the server (if you use Asset, you can set to transcode and apply replaygain as it does so).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks!
    I am using this with an attached USB disk as server.
    So, I have 2 options:
    - getting AVM to implement RG in the above server, or
    - getting the app developer to integrate RG (i.e. Bubblesoft ... the best I could find)
    since the renderer (which actually is from AVM as well) has no influence.
    I'll file a request to AVM. They have also implemented ID3 v2.4 and FLAC parsing upon request.

Thanks and best regards,
    McL

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Please correct me if I'm wrong: If the server is transcoding the data, it is not lossless anymore, right, at least it has been modified (-> FLAC).
    Wouldn't it be better if the renderer applies a level adjustment ... but that's only possible if the renderer is DA ...

Administrator

It can be better for the player to do the volume adjustment, however if you have 16 bit material, a good serer will allow it to be increased to 24 bits, and then have replaygain applied, so there is no perceived loss in quality.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks.
    If I get DLNA correct if my Android Tablet is only control point and rendering is done somewhere else the music stream does not get to my tablet. So, for this configuration the only option would be to have the server applying RG.
    I'll see what they can do and keep things posted here. Maybe it's of some use for somebody else.
    A list of Servers, Players ... that support RG to what extent would be nice