title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping Speed

Ripping Speed

Hello

My external CD-drive is able to adjust the ripping speed for best ripping results. It is a special tuned version from Aqvox. They recomment x4-speed, and it works with other programs, such as EAC.

If I now in db (full version) set the ripping speed down to x4 (in Options and in Secure settings) it seems that nothing happens.
    During the ripping process the ripping speed in the display is about x10 - x15 for CD's in normal good condition, for CD's with problems the ripping speed goes down.

Som said, I want to limit the maximum speed to x4, is this possible?

Kind regards

Re: Ripping Speed

I'm sure someone else will chime in on speed setting. However, setting the mas speed to 4x is a waste of time. If the drive reads accurately at 15x speed, then slowing it down to 4x will take nearly 4x as long to get the same results.

dBpoweramp Guru

And if you are concerned about accurate rips, some drives do a *better* job at higher speeds. Perhaps this mattered in the old days (not sure that's even true), but for many, many years there is no benefit from ripping at slower speeds. I'm afraid you might have been reading some bad "audiophool" information on the web somewhere. Ripping speed seems to be one of the typical audiophool myths that is propagated on the web.

edit: And I'm assuming you do understand the point of accuraterip matching and how that relates to accuracy of your rips?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

If you want my experience with a Plextor Premium 2, when I rip with a maximum speed sometimes I have some re-rip frames when at 4X there is absolutely no problem ...

I try it again.

Fact 1: The option to reduce the ripping speed exits in db. (NB: Why?)
    Fact 2: My drive (LG CED-8080B) accept this option in another programs. (EAC, CD-Bremse)

Question: What can be the reason, that it doesn't work in db?

Please, drop disrespectful answers and bad mathematics (4x4=15), thank you!

Best regards