title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [codec] m4a FDK AAC Encoder

Administrator

[codec] m4a FDK AAC Encoder

We will be phasing out the Nero encoder and replacing with this newer FDK version.

Includes also a m4b encoder.

<now released>

Encoder.exe"]dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder[/URL]

This install contains both 64 bit install (for dBpoweramp R15 beta 64 bit) and 32 bit install. By default the install will match your dBpoweramp (32 bit or 64 bit).
    Last edited by Spoon; 02-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Re: m4a FDK AAC Encoder

Installed but unable to get it to work. Tried to convert a FLAC file and it does nothing.

I still have the Nero encoder installed. Do I need to remove it?

Administrator

It is independent of the Nero encoder.

When you say does nothing, you mean it converts and finishes, but there are no output files? no errors?

No, it doesn't convert anything. The time elapsed keeps going up but the files will not convert at all. I eventually have to use task manager to get it stop, as clicking cancel doesn't work.

I will uninstall and reinstall to see if I possibly did the install wrong.

EDIT: Found the problem! My antivirus was blocking it as a "questionable" program. I took off the blocker and it works fine now.
    Last edited by zoan06; 06-16-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Red face Re: m4a FDK AAC Encoder

Hi admin.

This fdk-acc encoder doesn't have any custom option such as he-aac mode, cut-off frequency or vbr mode. When i check the spectrum of output file created by this encoder i see although encoding at 192kbps but the frequency is cut off at 16 khz.

I hope you will add an option for cut-off frequency and vbr mode. Thanks.

Administrator

HE and HE v2 engage automatically under set bitrates (96 and 48 respectively)

The VBR mode for this codec is only for very low bitrates (less than 64 kbps from memory, adding a VBR option would confuse in our opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The VBR mode for this codec is only for very low bitrates (less than 64 kbps from memory, adding a VBR option would confuse in our opinion).
    Are you sure about the low bitrates. This response in hydrogenaudio suggests something different. I can't judge either statement.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...dpost&p=827970

It seems that FDK AAC Encoder never goes above 17kHz even if the bitrate is set to 512kbps.

Is there any way to fix this serious issue?

Why do you need to phase out the Nero AAC encoder? It is somewhat more "flexible" compared to the fhgaac encoder, in my opinion.

Administrator

We will still offer it, but I have the feeling that Nero will discontinue it over time and we are not allowed to host their component.

Very interesting release! A lot of thanks for this :smile2:
    I LOVE dbpoweramp stuff, and in the past my Alpine car radio cant play aac from nero, now with FDK all is ok. 200 kbps with this is better than lame slow vbr v -0 extreme (around 260 kbps)

Bitrates below 64kbps fail with this error: Error converting to m4a FDK (AAC), 'C:\Users\Mike\Documents\Podcast_355.mp3' to 'C:\Users\Mike\Documents\Podcast_355.m4a'
    Could not write to the worker process: file access error [clEncoderExternal::EncodeBlock]

Given the limitations of this encoder -- no VBR, no mono, no control over HE/HEv2 -- it seems completely useless to me. Also, I've searched the web for analysis of the audio quality, but found basically no mention of it anywhere. The 17-KHz limit ruins it for high bitrates, and the failed-conversion errors means I can't even test low bitrates (for podcasts and stuff).

Administrator

What were the source attributes of the mp3?

Hello. I have maked a new fdkaac.exe using this:
    fdkaac_autobuild

I have replaced the new exe in folder "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\encoder\m4a FDK (AAC)". In the encoded m4a files, i see in tag "fdkaac 0.3.0, libfdk-aac 3.3.3". Anyone knows what are the changes in this new version?
    P.s.: sorry for my bad english... :p

Administrator

>New option --moov-before-mdat was added at 0.3.0

This addition would not be used by dBpoweramp as we actually internally already move the moov before mdat...