title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cannot convert from 32 bit floating point AIF to any format

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deckard
    • Jun 2005

Cannot convert from 32 bit floating point AIF to any format

I've been using dMC for years and have never encountered any files I couldn't work with until recently.

I work a lot with sound files remotely and some of the people I work with use MAC.
    Whenever they send me a 2-channel mix-down of a multi-track project, it's typically an AIF with the following properties:

(from dbPoweramp audio properties tab)

Size 136.51 MB (0% Compressed)
    Original Size 136.51 MB
    Length 6 minutes 45 seconds
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate 44.1 KHz
    Sample Size 32 bit floating point
    Bit Rate 2,822 kbps (DVD)
    Encoder
    Encoder Settings fl32 (32-bit Floating Point)
    Audio Quality Perfect (Lossless)
    Contains
    Channel Mapping Left, Right
    Type AIFF Format Sound [.aif]

These files won't play native on my Fifth Generation iPod, so I need to convert to M4A, WAV or MP3.

When I attempt to convert using dMC, no matter what settings I use, I get the following error (depending on the codec):

Error converting to Wave, 'D:\temp\filenam.aif' to 'D:\temp\filename.wav'
    Error - file has compressed audio (not supported). [clWaveDecoder::PrepareToDecodeAudio]

Why does dMC think the file has compressed audio?

The only way I've been able to work around this is to open the file in QuickTime and choose Export: Sound to WAV. Then I can do whatever I want with the file in dMC.

So what is the issue here? "32 bit IEEE float" is an option in dMC for conversion, but can it not read 32 bit floating point?

I can probably request a different format, but I'd still like to know what's going on.

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Cannot convert from 32 bit floating point AIF to any format

We have never come across a float 32 aiff, if you can make one available for us (perhaps dropbox?) then we can look at fixing.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• deckard
      • Jun 2005

Sorry for the lack of response - been busier than usual the last couple of weeks.

I'll have a test file for you by tonight. In the meantime, I also received a 32-bit float WAV today that generated the following error when I attempted to convert it to M4A:

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'D:\temp\filename.wav' to 'D:\temp\filename.m4a'
      Error Apple Lossless accepts only 16 / 24 bit. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

I realize the M4A spec says 16/24-bit, but opening the file in iTunes and selecting "Create AAC Version" yields a 16 bit M4A without any interim steps.
      With dMC, I have to convert from 32-bit float to 24-bit and then I can convert to M4A. Not a big deal, just wondering what iTunes is doing, as the conversion doesn't take longer than normal.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You can use the DSP effect 'Bit depth' to set the depth to 24 bit.

dBpoweramp is correct to show the error as Apple Lossless is a lossless codec, if it was to silently drop from 32 to 24 bit, then your files have a loss...
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• HapGhost
          • Jun 2013

I have a simular problem when trying to convert 24bit 88.2 KHz AIF files to m4a. I get an error:

File error reading chunk. [clAIFFHandler::ScanFile]

Works without a problem in iTunes, but there I can't control what is going on with DSP effects.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Please email this file:

Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• HapGhost
              • Jun 2013

I just tried to remove the album art from the AIF file with the tag tool, and then it works.

The file is to big for an email, it´s Daft Punks Random Access Memories, downloaded from HDtracks.com in 24 bit, 88.2 KHz AIF.
              Last edited by HapGhost; 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

The file might have had a corrupted chunk, try adding the album art again with the tag tool, if it converts ok, it is likely HD Tracks have a corrupted track (perhaps).
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• deckard
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                  We have never come across a float 32 aiff, if you can make one available for us (perhaps dropbox?) then we can look at fixing.
                  Hi - Been a while and I've been using QuickTime to convert to 16/44.1, then dBpoweramp to convert from there, but it's becoming more and more frequent now that I am receiving 32-bit floating point audio AIF and WAV files...
                  32-bit float is becoming quite common because it yields better results when processing, as indicated here: http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/...ng-point-audio
                  I just emailed a 32-bit float WAV file to the email address mentioned above. Please let me know if you need any more info. Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Thanks have the file will take a look as soon as able.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

The 32 bit wave file you sent converts without issues in R15.1, I convert it Wave >> Wave and it converts.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• deckard
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                        The 32 bit wave file you sent converts without issues in R15.1, I convert it Wave >> Wave and it converts.
                        I was at R15. Just updated to R15.1. I too am now able to convert the 32-bit float WAV file.
                        However, I tried again with a 32-bit float AIF to 24/96 WAV and it still fails.
                        Just emailed another link.

Comment

• deckard
                          • Jun 2005

Were you able to convert with the last file I uploaded? Please let me know if you need me to send the link again. Thanks!

Comment

• dbfan
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jan 2011

Please send the link again.

Comment

• deckard
                              • Jun 2005

PM and email sent with link. Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>