title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Secure or Eltra-Secure.....Differences = ?????

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Secure or Eltra-Secure.....Differences = ?????

One of my drives, using the CD Ripper rips a track twice and then 3 times in the ultra-secure mode and then lists the successful, but not accirate nor inaccurate rip as "secure." If I rip the same track in the other drive, it rips the track twice using the CD Ripper and then lists this as "secure" if it is not accurate or inaccurate.

First, why does this difference result?

Second, if the result of tipping is secure in both cases/drives, is one better than the other or what?

This seems to me to be a rather large issue considering the difference in the time required to rip the same track in the two different drives.

Thanks for your explanation,
    Tom Swaman

Administrator

Re: Secure or Eltra-Secure.....Differences = ?????

You would have enabled Ultra Secure on one of the drives and not the other.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon,

I thank you and I shall check my settings.

Which setting is better and what is the effective difference?

Best Regards,
    Tom

Administrator

Depends on your drive, if using c2 pointers, ultra secure is not really needed.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

O.K., my ignorand lack of understanding is showing. I have read your Audio Guide and I still do not understand. Please help me......

1) What is the exact and the functional difference between an ultra-secure rip and a secure rip?

2) If a ripp is accurate and it is ripped at the same encoding level on two different drives, is not the rip independent of whether or not the C2 pointers are used by the individual drives?

3) Why, in the middle of a CD ripping, does the encoding level indicated change, say from 5 to 1? I noticed this happen recently on two different drives made by two drive manufacturers.

4) Are you able to provide a simple description of C2 Pointers and their importance or point me to such an explanation?

Thank you for your help,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Swaman; 01-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Administrator

Ultra secure just simply does extra passes to try to detect when a drive indicates no error, when in reality there is an error.

2) An accuraterip is accurate not matter what settings used

3) Encoding level? which level?

4) C2 are an extra layer of error detection, but some drives support it very badly...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    3) Encoding level? which level?
    maybe he means the ripping "speed" changing during the rip. If so, this is normal.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon,

First, thank you for your very clear answers. To answer your question,I am referring to the FLAC encoding lossless level setting at the bottom right of the bottom left of the batch ripper ripping window display. I set this for lossless level 5. The other day, this changed automatically while I was ripping two different CDs to a level of 1. No, I am not referring to changing disc ripping speed.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
    Tom

Administrator

Unless you selected a Diffrerent profile, or different drive, it should remain constant.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon,

Thank you. I was certain that what you wrote is what should happen. However, as I wrote to you, this was not the case with two CDs and I was flabbergasted to see the mid-ripping change when nothing of which I am aware was done or changed. Also, I have ripped 4586 discs without ever seeing this.

I shall keep my eyes open.

Spoon, I have two, identical Plextor drives of the same relative service duty and these are far from equal when it comes to their behavior. I am both disappointed and surprised. I would very much like to purchase two consistent-performing drives that demonstrate thorough qualoty control. I am open to any suggestions you might have.

Best regards,
    Tom