title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ISO First Class Music Streamer for FLAC Files

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question ISO First Class Music Streamer for FLAC Files

I hope I am not alone. I am in search of a high quality, versatile music streaming device to replace the now discontinued Logitech Squeezebox Touch. What I seek must be capable of streaming lossless flac files or equal and contain large playlists, preferably more than 500 and preferably 1,500 files in length. The system should be remotely controllable using an iPad App or an Android App. Finally, the system should be capable of working with wi-fi and/or hard-wired.

Clearly, the device I seek should be constructed with quality and priced reasonably, perhaps in the $500 U.S. to $2,000 U.S. per unit. I was hoping the new Simaudio MOON MiND 180 would do this, However, on first observations, this will not as it will not control using an Android APP at this time and I do not believe it will handle a sufficiently large playlist.

Lest I forget, the device must be able to handle large fields for containing the names of albums and discs, particularly those associated with classical music.

Do you know of such hardware that is commercially available? It seems to me it would be a great idea if we all watched for this and shared what we find. Logitech really dumped their customers and what could have been the world's leading music streaming systems when they recently withdrew their most reasonable slim device from the commercial market.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: ISO First Class Music Streamer for FLAC Files

what's wrong with the option of just picking up some extra Squeezebox Touch units. They do all you ask, all the versions of the LMS software are available for download here
    downloads.slimdevices.com

(I'm told the LMS software is actually open source). I know that there are several folks doing all kinds of third party work with the software. The only downside is that one needs the mysqueezebox.com in the cloud for doing things like Pandora, MOG, siriusXM. Although there is a 3rd party spotify app that can work without mysb.com. And for generic internet radio, one can simply enter the URL as a favorite in LMS.

Bottom line, for playing up to 24/96 files of almost any sort (or 24/192 if one installs Triodes EDO app on a TOUCH), these can work essentially forever until the hardware breaks. I've got two homes setup with SB stuff. I use a Transporter, a touch, a radio, and a boom at one place and a Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Radio, Boom at the other. Running LMS on headless linux server (vortexbox) with mostly FLAC files at both places. All works easily, can sync perfectly across different rooms, and I control it all from iphone or ipad (or laptop running SqueezePlay). I have 3 new in box extra Touch Player and 3 extra Radios. So I'm set for several more years with the Squeezebox stuff. And by then, something else better will come along.

p.s. Sonos is not a replacement for me (as it can't handle more than about 65k files (and I have 70k now and less than 1/2 through ripping!) maybe less depending on tags, can't handle lots of tags that SB can (multiple artists, etc.), and only plays 16/44.1 (although not a big problem for me).

dBpoweramp Guru

In addition to lots of discussion at forums.slimdevices.com, there is discussion here:

http://vortexbox.org/threads/4443-Sq...e-alternatives
    http://vortexbox.org/threads/4536-sq...te-on-Pogoplug

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Gary,

You hit the nail on the head.

1) Correct, Sonos is not the answer for several reasons.
    2) The Squeezebox Touch or Transporter is a viable solution as long as the hardware is available and functions. In the last year and a half, I have experienced ywo hardware failures. Logitech will give you your purchase price back now if the device is under warranty, but they do not repair or replace. I have three units in service and I have purchased backups, but getting backups is now difficult and increasingly expensive as I am certain you are aware. I am not worried about 24/196 or similar as I truly believe this to be a marketing gimmick and a waste for music listening so this also is not an issue.

Gary, just like there was a solid market for the Squeezebox Touch, there now is a market need for a replacement device for streaming quality music files. The Squeezebox Radio doesn't cut the needed job. So I still seek an alternative as asked in my original post.

Regards,
    Tom