title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Again on AAC vs MP3

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Again on AAC vs MP3

Long debate, here again.
    AAC or MP3?
    Long discussion, however it seems that the only weak point for AAC is compatibility; However virtually every digital player supports AAC..... why people should continue encoding to MP3?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Again on AAC vs MP3

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuciano View Post
    Long debate, here again.
    AAC or MP3?
    Long discussion, however it seems that the only weak point for AAC is compatibility; However virtually every digital player supports AAC..... why people should continue encoding to MP3?
    my take is that all ripping should be to a lossless type (e.g., FLAC). Then one can create lossy versions for use on phones, portable players etc. These can be mp3, aac, etc. based on the flavor of the day....when one decides he prefers a different lossy type file, load up your lossless files, click convert and come back the next day for a fresh version of lossy files in whatever version one wants.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I am ripping to FLAC, however as for portability I do convert to MP3.... but now I may go for AAC.....

dBpoweramp Guru

at around 160kbs (192 for sure) or above my lossy versions (mp3 or m4a) are transparent to me whether I use mp3 or m4a (aac). Really doesn't matter much. I will say that for things that I only have in lossy, some of my older players (Squeezebox players) have to transcode to play AAC but do mp3 natively. So that's a plus for mp3 for me.