title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Fact, Fiction, Reason or Coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Swaman
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2011

Fact, Fiction, Reason or Coincidence?

I sense that when I am ripping CDs using AccurateRip, AMG plus the other services, the CD Ripper and my own care that often, but not always, when a track rips "secure" or "insecure", this is typically the last or very near the last track on a Cd whose other tracks ripped as "Accurate". Is there a reason for this phenomenon or is it just a coincidence? I seem to repeatedly encounter this result as opposed to obtaining other than "Accurate" rips throughout the tracks on CDs.

I look forward to reading your comments, explanations or personal observations.

Thank you,
    Tom
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Fact, Fiction, Reason or Coincidence?

I agree. When I have problem tracks during ripping they are often near end of cd. No clue as to why.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

these are the outer tracks on a cd, the drive has more difficulties in reading these.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
        these are the outer tracks on a cd, the drive has more difficulties in reading these.
        I usually am successful with reripping just these tracks until getting accuraterip match or secure.

Comment

• Tom Swaman
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2011

Thanks Spoon.

Gary, I am also often successful with reripping my insecure tracks, but often in my regular computer CD drive as opposed to the two Plextor drives that I use dedicayed to my music computer. Also, surprisingly, my computer drive often rips much faster than do my two Plextor music ripping drives. This makes little sense to me, but it does seem to be repeatable.

Have a great week.
          Tom

Comment

• Tom Swaman
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2011

Spoon,

Is there any way around this problem short of buying 12 inch drives and using these to rip 5 inch CDs?

Also, these outer disc errors can get a bit ludicrous. I recently ripped a disc that had 16 out of 20 accurate tracks and 24,700 questionable frames in the 17th track and this was a very high quality disc manufacturer from England. I often get 35 to 1,300 bad frame errord in one track of a disc where all other tracks rip accurately. It might be O.K. to through away one unattached song, but it sure does not help whemn the errors occurs in the third movement of a major symphony.

Thanks again,
            Tom

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

I find that ripping on different drives can lead to vastly different outcomes in terms of errors. And this is not necessarily good drives vs cheap drives. Just different.

Comment

• Tom Swaman
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2011

Gary,

I am switching routinely between two "identical" Plextor drives and I get similar results with both of these. Please know that I have not kept statistics so this is my perception. I do seem to get vastly different, faster and better drive result on my regular DELL computer and whosever drive came installed. Frankly, the latter really surprised me. In fact, when I do not like my other results on my Plextor drives, I re-rip with my DELL computer drive.

I do not understand unless Plextor is now over-rated or missing QA/QC.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

I'm no expert on this, but the old days of the drive being very critical (i.e., use of good Plextor drives to get good rips) is now long past. In fact, the true value of dbpa and accuraterip, is that if one can get accuraterip matches, it doesn't matter what drive was used. Obviously badly behaving drives are not generally good, but dbpa/accuraterip solves a lot of problems. Most of my ripping is on my desktop or laptop, both dell machines, nothing special about the drives.

p.s. and a lot of plextor badged drives are no longer really the Plextors that disk rippers always loved....

Comment

• Tom Swaman
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2011

Gary,

Sad to say, but your experience and mine are identical. Also, what you wrote about DBPA and Accorate Rip is totally true. These softwares are the reason why I no longer use a CD player.

Best regards,
                    Tom

Comment

Working...

]]>