title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: cpu encoding seems to be hanging around 90-99%

cpu encoding seems to be hanging around 90-99%

Hi

Im working through my cd's ripping them to flac. to begin with my laptop with an i7 processor and 6GB ram was quick, but for some reason it now takes anything up to 45 minutes to rip a disc.

The problem is the encoding which seems to now be really slow and hang for 10 minutes at 99%

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: cpu encoding seems to be hanging around 90-99%

Check that there aren't any process which keeps always busy the CPU, and eats CPU time.

Use the task manager or, better, the Process Explorer program.

Also, make sure that your laptop isn't overheated. Many CPUs feature Thermal Throtting, which slows down the processor if overheats. I used to run the RMClock program to detect Thermal Throtting.

Hmm thanks

Process explorer shows cdGrab as the busiest process whilst ripping the tracks but once all 8 cpu cores are in encoding mode then it all goes very slow with coreconverter showing as the third highest usage and perfmon using the most cpu at 0.7%

Overall the cpu usage hovers around the 40-50% mark. with only some system interrupts and deferred procedure calls using around 0.5% average cpu consumption.
    The only time cpu spikes seems to be when cd ripper initially spins up the cd drive to rip another track.

I think as no other software has changed and it was working alot quicker, I will un-install dbpoweramp and do a fresh install.

Thanks

There seems to be some system deffered process calls

Administrator

Try ripping to 'Test Encoder' which is a pretend encoder, it will highlight if it is the CD ripping or encoding which is causing problems.