title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Recommended external drive?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Recommended external drive?

I started ripping a 2500-CD collection with my computer's internal DVD drive. A defective CD exploded in the drive and ruined it. I replaced it with a Plextor, which is fast and reliable.

I also got a used Lite-On (external) USB drive. It is more convenient than the internal drive (less reaching), but after a while, it started failing. Every track would need to re-rip 6 or more frames.

I'd like to continue with an external drive for convenience and convenient replacement when it fails. I bought a well-reviewed ASUS "slim" drive, which was a mistake. It is flimsy, has a short Y-cord, and it has a notebook-type mechanism -- less convenient than a tray -- and isn't very fast.

Can anyone recommend a current-model external drive for ripping thousands of disc with dBpa?

THANK YOU!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Recommended external drive?

The very best way would be to buy a normal drive, and attach it externally using a PATA/SATA adapter to USB and an external power supply. So you can run externally any decent ATAPI drive, and you can replace it easily without opening computer case.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Recommended external drive?

Thanks for the idea!