title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't rip faster than 8x

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toNka64
    • Mar 2007

Can't rip faster than 8x

In the past my drive has been able to rip much faster but with the latest release it seems capped at 8x.
    I have tried multiple CDs, even a brand new one, and I get the same results.
    In settings it is set to max by default and I have tried 40x and 32x but it always sticks at 8x.
    My drive is a PX-760A.
  • pablogm123
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2012

Re: Can't rip faster than 8x

Did you enable the silent mode in the past using the PleXTools program? It is a permanent setting which survives reboots and OS reinstalls, because is stored in the drive itself. I own a very similar drive, a PX-755SA, enabled the silent mode in PleXTools, and now I have lots of problems restoring the original settings.

Comment

• toNka64
      • Mar 2007

Well, holding down the eject button until the light flashes should temporarily disable the silent mode, but it was my understanding that silent mode only applied to DVD video.
      I tried it anyway and it didn't work.

Comment

• pablogm123
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2012

Silent mode applies to every kind of disc. I have tried your suggestion, with no success. Perhaps, you could download the PleXTools XL 3.16, and disable the silent mode, or run this alternative app, which doesn't install anything into the system:

cdvdcontrol -d [LETTER OF DRIVE:] --silent off

However, that app states that PX-755/760 drives use "protected" commands for certain functions, which only the official PleXTools program can execute. It is possible that silent mode is governed by a "protected" command which PleXTools cannot send properly, because I own a PX-716AL drive and this drive can turn on/off successfully, as intended, the silent mode.

By the way, have you checked that your drive run properly in UDMA mode?

Comment

• toNka64
          • Mar 2007

Yeah, UDMA is fine.
          I switched to burst mode and it goes above 8x but secure will not break 8x.
          So the drive and software together are making this decision.
          Maybe because 8x is the fastest CLV mode, everything higher is CAV.

Comment

• pablogm123
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • May 2012

Can you select 24x, and the drive rips in burst mode at 10x-24x? Both are burst mode rips actually, but secure mode extracts additionally the C2 pointers.

Check the condition of discs you are ripping. Sometimes my PX-716AL drive, doesn't go further 8x if inserted disc is in poor condition. Sometimes, there are discs in poor condition, even they are new, because manufacturing quality is bad, and error rate is high.

Comment

• toNka64
              • Mar 2007

Yeah, I was wondering why the first pass in Secure mode wasn't breaking past 8x because I thought that even in secure mode, the first pass is essentially burst, then verified against accuraterip.
              I'm pretty sure that during the initializing process of the disc the drive makes some determination about what speeds it can/will use.
              Before entering a disc in I can set the drive speed from 4, 8, 12, 24, and 32.
              If I put a disc in and then go to the option, then it only allows me to choose 4 or 8.
              So when I leave it on Maximum it rips at 8x..
              The only disc I can get to rip above 8x are CDRs.
              Retail disc are locked at 8x, even in Burst Mode.
              I have tried at least 20+ disc now, old and new, with scratches and without scratches

Comment

Working...

]]>