title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plextor PX-40 TSI / Ultraplex 40 max

Plextor PX-40 TSI / Ultraplex 40 max

i buy this model on ebay for 5 euro plus shipping cost me around 20 euro is this good buying?

and is it true that old 40X DVD ROM's like this have problem with new firmware when they are wotking on XP or WIN7 , i hear he have problem that he need some kind of restart every 2 minutes during the ripping cd when he work in win7?
    Last edited by S0nic; 10-16-2012 at 08:52 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Plextor PX-40 TSI / Ultraplex 40 max

I wouldn't buy this drive (A CD-ROM drive, by the way, not DVD-ROM)

-You will need a SCSI card/cable.
    -This drive only understand the D8 command, not the standard ReadCD BE. An exclusive of Plextor command for extracting audio. Also, this command can extract data tracks in scrambled and not-offset corrected form (and it is the only way to read properly certain console CDs, such as PC Engine CD). D8 command supports C2 pointers, but for that the app used has to read main channel + c2 pointers + full subcode. Main channel + c2 pointers (dBpoweramp do this) isn't supported.

If you are actually interested in a real Plextor drive, search a more recent drive, which allows the standard ReadCD BE command in addition to special D8 command. For example, currently I own: PX-W4824TU, PX-716AL and PX-755SA.

My modest advice: If you aren't interested in read rare console CDs and CD+G discs (only a real Plextor drive with exclusive packed mode read mode for subcode can extract properly and error-free the graphics), you don't need really a true Plextor drive and every relatively modern and decent drive is fine. For example, the SOHR-5238S you mentioned yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pablogm123 View Post
    I wouldn't buy this drive (A CD-ROM drive, by the way, not DVD-ROM)

-You will need a SCSI card/cable.
    -This drive only understand the D8 command, not the standard ReadCD BE. An exclusive of Plextor command for extracting audio. Also, this command can extract data tracks in scrambled and not-offset corrected form (and it is the only way to read properly certain console CDs, such as PC Engine CD). D8 command supports C2 pointers, but for that the app used has to read main channel + c2 pointers + full subcode. Main channel + c2 pointers (dBpoweramp do this) isn't supported.

If you are actually interested in a real Plextor drive, search a more recent drive, which allows the standard ReadCD BE command in addition to special D8 command. For example, currently I own: PX-W4824TU, PX-716AL and PX-755SA.

My modest advice: If you aren't interested in read rare console CDs and CD+G discs (only a real Plextor drive with exclusive packed mode read mode for subcode can extract properly and error-free the graphics), you don't need really a true Plextor drive and every relatively modern and decent drive is fine. For example, the SOHR-5238S you mentioned yesterday.

i buy SOHR-5238S yesterday for 8 euro )) but i buy this plextor it cost me only 22 euro with shipping i think it's realy not too much ... if i understand you good , i don't speak english very well , you tell me that this drive can't correct errors i don't know all things you write i such a noob hehe , thanks for helping

ps i have Plextor PX-W4824TU CDRW 15$ + 45 $ shipping is it good price 60$ , what you think

here is pics

Last edited by S0nic; 10-16-2012 at 10:59 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Using dBpoweramp, that drive cannot report C2 errors. Without C2 error reporting, ripping process won't fully accurate, because C2 error reporting can detect certain constant errors, which always return the same data. And you will need a SCSI card (you cannot install that drive without a SCSI card), and SCSI cabling. A ribbon SCSI cable, 50 pines, looks awfully once installed. A few months ago, I wanted to install a SCSI Plextor drive, but I discarded that idea, mainly due to cabling (too messy in my opinion), because I have spare SCSI cards anyway. On top of that, it is possible that the SCSI card you buy isn't supported by Windows Vista/7, so that everything will be useless.

Using dBpoweramp, that drive cannot report C2 errors. Without C2 error reporting, ripping process won't fully accurate, because C2 error reporting can detect certain constant errors, which always return the same data. And you will need a SCSI card (you cannot install that drive without a SCSI card), and SCSI cabling. A ribbon SCSI cable, 50 pines, looks awfully once installed. A few months ago, I wanted to install a SCSI Plextor drive, but I discarded that idea, mainly due to cabling (too messy in my opinion), because I have spare SCSI cards anyway. On top of that, it is possible that the SCSI card you buy isn't supported by Windows Vista/7, so that everything will be useless.
    understand now , if there is some error i will not know for them till i listen song.... i have good card adaptec 29160 with all cables for 14$ used .... is it good card for you? i send you pictures and price up for PX-W4824TU what can you tell about that

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I own a PX-W4824TU drive, too, excellent drive which supports fully the special D8 command, and the standard (used by any brand of drive) ReadCD BE. The price of drive is right, assuming that you live in Europe and you are importing that drive from US. Unfortunately, these drives are awfully overpriced in Europe, where I live.

If I were you, I would discard definitely the intention to buy a SCSI drive.

I own a PX-W4824TU drive, too, excellent drive which supports fully the special D8 command, and the standard (used by any brand of drive) ReadCD BE. The price of drive is right, assuming that you live in Europe and you are importing that drive from US. Unfortunately, these drives are awfully overpriced in Europe, where I live.

If I were you, I would discard definitely the intention to buy a SCSI drive.
    i still don't pay on ebay , maybe i can cancel the transaction hmm ...

pablogm123 i have PLEXTOR PX-W4824TU , 10$ but shipping cost 48$ , 58$ is it too much hmm

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It depends. If you are a casual user, that purchase is worthless. If you are a perfectionist of audio extraction (like me), is very valuable.

Perhaps, you could find the internal variant cheapier, W4824TA.

Anyway, the Lite-On drive you have adquired is excellent: Good speed, accurate, can overread using dBpoweramp, excellent C2 reporting... Why don't try this drive first, before want to buy another drive?

It depends. If you are a casual user, that purchase is worthless. If you are a perfectionist of audio extraction (like me), is very valuable.

Perhaps, you could find the internal variant cheapier, W4824TA.

Anyway, the Lite-On drive you have adquired is excellent: Good speed, accurate, can overread using dBpoweramp, excellent C2 reporting... Why don't try this drive first, before want to buy another drive?
    yeah i'm perfectionist like you )) i will buy external , because i have that LiteOn on ATA port in my PC on sata port I have Optirac 7200s (i buy it but wait to recieve him from ebay) and external this plextor )) , i think this will be good enough to rip my cd collection , i buy around 250 double cd's from ebay so i wish put that on hard in full wav audio ) will rip with dBpoweramp CD Ripper

dBpoweramp Guru

are you sure you want to rip to WAV. FLAC is lossless (decoded is bit identical to WAV). And FLAC has built-in error checking that the WAV does not have. And FLAC has standard tagging that can be read by any player that can play a FLAC. WAV tagging is hit or miss. If you think WAV sounds better than FLAC, you've read too many audiophile websites and magazines. This is simply not true based on plenty of rigorous tests. Google for more info and start reading hydrogenaudio.org.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I agree with that. In any case if (for whatever personal reason) you prefer uncompressed audio, rip to uncompressed FLAC, which stores the raw audio stream as it is into a FLAC container, with standard tagging support and error checking.

pablogm123 i recive PX-W4824TU and liteon i try plextor and they rip without problem cd album who i can't rip with my two LG ROM's they are made errors

pablogm123 i just try to rip cd with liteon he rip the cd , but on problematic last song he write that rip is inaccurate and song have errors and plaxtor rip that song like accurate without error so plextor is better , i will buy online soon one more plextor same like this i wish to have two because i wish have one for reserve

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Reduce the read speed. The most equilibrated read speed for Mediatek based drives, from my experience, is 24x. For real Plextor drives too. And don't forget to enable the overread function for both drives (test if Lite-On drive can overread actually). Also, enable C2 pointers and, only for the Plextor drive, FUA.

Sometimes, I have seen a few of slightly damaged discs that a PX-755SA drive at 4x/8x won't rip, but at 24x will do finely.