title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: External USB cd/dvd drive recommendation

External USB cd/dvd drive recommendation

Hi,

I am busy ripping 100's of CD's with my Dell PC and I want to use an additional external drive to speed things up & do two at the same time. I have borrowed a drive but dbpoweramp cannot cailbrate it so ripping is really slow. I am happy to buy a cheap external drive - can you please recommend a make and preferably model that you know dbpoweramp knows & can calibrate.
    I fancy the LG GE24NU21 - anyone any opinions please?

Thanks a lot

Martin
    Last edited by martycol; 03-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Re: External USB cd/dvd drive recommendation

HI Martin,

This question many times and is found across all places in the web (and I asked it myself too). The best answer is to look into the published "top ten" list by Spoon. In fact, this represents the most "scientific" answer I have seen in order to address this quest.

Turns out that you either have to get/possess an old PLEXTOR drive dating. The new devices received some ugly comments on the most recent DVD-devices forum treats reveling that they have many problems in reading AUDIO-CDs and have currently no other solution than stop selling there eSATA DVD-drive.
    A very interesting alternative can be found with MATSCHITA (Pioneer) drives. They are at the top of the 2012 device list published in this forum.

Now let me attempt to (partially) answer your question what external drive is the right one to go for: I am having a self-build external 5.25 case combined holding a very old PLEXTOR drive in it with does an incredible job when it comes to scratched CDs or something not so straight forward. Unfortunately, old drives come with the drawback of having a PATA interface. You only have the choice of using either USB2 (what I use) or firewire bridges because there is no chip (bridge) providing PATA to eSATA communication to my knowledge. (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF ANYONE ONES MORE ON THIS!!!)

However, (this is what I personally would do) I would choose a top SATA CD/DVD-drive from Spoons list (one in the top 5 in 2011 & 2012) and put it into an external case able to connect to SATA to eSATA only (no usb or firewire!). This combines essentially the privileges, responsiveness, and reliability of an internal drive with the benefits of flexibility and portability of an external drive.

A general list of important things for my decision are:
    - Size: Would I want a chunky 5.25” box with a dedicated power supply (what I am currently using) or a slim box run entirely through eSATA
    - It must be fanless!
    - Decent rubber feeds to prevent vibrations (and annoying noise) while providing a firm position.
    - No bright and annoying LED lights or even recessed floor lighting.
    - Also, I would completely opt-out for any PATA/SATA to USB/firewire enabled devices which provides all/many interfaces in one case. They seem to make more trouble if you read the feedback across different sides.

I have no pressure since I have a good external and internal drive on my laptop. However, I would love to go for one of PLEXTORS eSATA drives but I will wait until they have managed to get them back into their previously known performance or until some alternative comes up.

All this probably made your decision not easier but shapes a bit your thoughts and I might gain some interesting question, suggestions, and might even some answers back from here.

All the best and happy shopping,
    xTobix

Re: External USB cd/dvd drive recommendation

My 2 cents on external rippers:
    - There is no need to run after the elusive and expensive Plextor 230A; the 130A performs just as well and is a lot easier to find and costs only about $20.
    - Query eBay and you will find that Plextor made very sturdy external cases for 5.25'' drives, with a distinctive Nimitz-like silhouette. There are also no-name cases with integrated power supply which are very handy (and yes, I hate their bright, flashing multicolor leds too).
    - Most PATA to USB converters (standalone or embedded in the case) that I have purchased perform adequately. The only real issue with external USB devices is the CABLE. Guess how I know... Get a well built, well shielded USB cable, as short as decently possible and you will not regret it. A thick cable is not necessarily a good cable.
    - I have the Plextor 130A in its Nimitz box, a Matshita UJ-85J in an external self-powered USB case and a Teac 224SL also in a self-powered USB case. The Plextor performs 98% of the work because it rips much faster than the other 2 devices. I found that using a 5.25'' device is the best way to consistently quality rip at speeds of >30x. When a track 'insecure' occurs, I switch to the other 2 devices. If none of these solved the problem, I buy another CD (with all the money I saved from NOT having bought the 230A). Statistically, I get a CD with an unrecoverable track error (reported as such by dbPA) out of every 250 CD's. That's only about 4 per 1000.
    Let me know if it was worth the 2 cents...

YK