title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: New user confused by file tree

Question New user confused by file tree

Hi - I'm a new user of this program but can normally figure things out... cannot find any info in FAQ or forum, so here goes.

Win7, 64bit
    CD Writer (R4)

I wanted to try out the CD writer but had trouble immediately. The file explorer/directory tree on the right-hand side upper pane didn't match my actual file directory. I tried navigating via the "Music" folder and also through the users directory, but neither looked right. It looked like it was showing me an outdated folder structure, like one I had weeks or months ago. Completely gobsmacked, I'd never seen any program behave that way before. I couldn't burn my playlist because I was totally unable to navigate to it. Didn't know if I could drag n' drop, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Kevin

Administrator

Re: New user confused by file tree

The file structure must exist, the program could not know what it looked like a number of weeks ago (probably before you even used CD writer?)

Sorry, I know that bit sounds silly but that was the best way to describe it. Part of my music collection was there, but the folders didn't match what was actually in Windows Explorer. I'm away from that machine at the moment but was thinking I could possibly be looking at some partial backup or something, but that's unlikely. I'm pretty spacey but not a computer n00b... :confused: I also have multiple hard drives and triple boot Linux/Vista/Win7 on that machine, so thought maybe there was confusion between the C and D drive, my music being on the D drive.. But like I said I have no idea and it was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I'll also try to get a good screenshot of what I'm talking about and post it.

Okay, here's a picture of it. Both CD Writer and Explorer are pointed to the exact same spot: D:\Users\Hotsoup\Music
    Take a look at the Playlist folder in the two windows.. (and try not to judge my taste in music too much) :o
    http://i45.tinypic.com/14sfy3s.png

Administrator

You probably have Libraries setup, where your music is in multiple locations, click the + next to 'My Music' in the right hand window in your picture.

That's true, in fact I'm using Libraries and the normal "My Music" folder location was changed to the D drive (not default).

Expanding My Music like you said only shows what is normally there, i.e., my playlist folder is "23 - PLAYLISTS", but you did point me in the right direction. When I click on the address bar, it's totally different. Here's an image:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/mkfap.png
    In the left window, all is fine and dandy. In the right, when I click in the address bar, the highlighted text shows "20 - PLAYLISTS". I guess I'm looking at a Windows issue, not dbPoweramp after all. I've never seen that before. Perhaps it's libraries or I have folder ownership issues, I'm not sure.

To any who are interested, a very similar issue is talked about here in the Microsoft forum:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-473707a2109f

Sorry to have pointed the finger at CD Writer, but it happened to be the program that highlighted the problem. I'll backup my files and probably try removing Libraries, since I couldn't find much use for it anyway.