title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: why do some CDs rip faster than others?

why do some CDs rip faster than others?

I'm new to ripping in general and just began using this software last week. It is truly amazing. I can't believe how flexible and dynamic this program is. I'm working hard at learning as much as I can.

One question though. I have had differing experiences with rip time. I just ripped 2-3 discs that were approx55-70 minutes in length and they ripped in about 2 minutes....at times reaching 14x rip speed. Then, I began ripping a CD that was only 36 minutes and it took twice as long...reaching speeds of about only 5xs.

I'm sure there's an easy explanation...I just want to be sure there's not something I'm missing.

Thx in advance for any input.

JR

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: why do some CDs rip faster than others?

The cd drive decides how quickly it can set the maximum speed to when a disc is inserted, the last track is read by the drive and a top speed set based on quality of disc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jrdiandrea View Post
    I just ripped 2-3 discs that were approx55-70 minutes in length and they ripped in about 2 minutes....at times reaching 14x rip speed. Then, I began ripping a CD that was only 36 minutes and it took twice as long...reaching speeds of about only 5xs.
    I assume you did a single burst pass on both, so that there was no re-reading invoked by dBpoweramp.

The max speed could be simply because it is longer -- for a given * of RPM, the linear velocity (and hence the throughput) is higher at the outer rim, and CDs are read from the inside and out.

This would of course not explain the total time taken. But some drives adjust the max speed according to 'quality' as ********* calls it: if it has a hard time reading, then it might reduce speed. Why would they do that? One rationale might be that some discs are a bit uneven physically, and then high speed makes it wobble.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Signal return from the CD determines speed. You're receiving a data stream from the CD, your CD drives firmware is looking for the best signal quality.

You have to remind yourself not all CDs are made the same. The coating on the foil is whats holding the data, not the foil. The foil is just there to reflect the laser back to the receiver. If the coating is thin or thick the data stream is affected. Also, at the factory the CD burners are all different, some are better than others..
    Last edited by thexfile; 05-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thx to all who responded. Very helpful