title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Internet Radio Setup

Internet Radio Setup

I am new to the forum and new to streaming.
    I have purchased Asset UPnP to try out Internet Radio. I installed Asset on my Windows 7 Pro notebook.
    Reading the forum for anything "Internet Radio" I found references that I need a RadioTime user id. I signed up with Radio time and added my user id in the General Settings in the Asset configuration.
    Based on other comments I found I expected that in the Browse Tree I now can expand the Internet Radio container to see a bunch of radio stations, but this is not the case. The container remains empty.
    Obviously I am still missing something else.
    I also was wondering if I can use the Windows Media Center or Foobar 2000 as the streaming client for the time being.
    Thanks for any reply.
    Gerd

Administrator

Re: Internet Radio Setup

You do not need the ID to browse the stations, try clearing the ID first. You should be able to browse without the id.

I removed the user id, restarted Asset, but still no radio stations show up. I also did a Restore Default, restarted Asset again, but no change. And was my assumption correct, that after installation I should have been able to "open" the Internet Radio" container.
    From your comment I assume, it should have worked right after the initial installation.
    Is there anything else I need to do first? Do I have to add a folder to the Audio Library section? Or create a shared folder somewhere first?
    Also, Windows Media Center sees my Asset server but does not show any audio files (none are loaded on the notebook yet).
    Or could this be a firewall issue? I use the latest version of Norton Internet Security.
    I have a high-speed Internet connection, so accessing the Internet and getting data downloaded works just fine.

dBpoweramp Guru

It is most likely the firewall is blocking external access.

well, i switched off the entire firewall, restarted asset, but still nothing.
    I am still not clear what i am supposed to "see". If everything would run as expected, would i see the list of radio stations underneath the Internet Radio folder?
    And do I have to add a new folder to the Audio Library section for Windows Media Center to find it?

Administrator

You would see more folders, such as Local Radio.

Would you have any other suggestions that I could check?

I uninstalled my firewall, uninstalled Asset, rebooted the notebook, then reinstalled Asset, but still no radio stations under Internet Radio.
    And just to see if Asset has a "general" problem on my PC, I coped some some FLAC files from another PC to this notebook. Using Windows Media Center I can play those flac files without a problem.
    So, I am at a loss why this won't work on my PC.

dBpoweramp Guru

I do not have any more suggestions, sorry.

I just checked the Internet Radio on a ripnas statement running Asset 3. I see the same problem there, no radio stations listed underneath Internet Radio. Comparing the settings, they look the same on both systems.
    I tried it with and without the WHS firewall, but no difference.
    There must be some setting or flag that I miss.
    I really would like to get this going.

Administrator

It is likely ISP related, perhaps your ISP needs a proxy server setup to access the internet?

I can't imagine it would be a proxy issue. I work via Internet connection all day long, upload and download files, access our company servers, do research on the Internet and don't have any issues at all.

I was doing some more digging and also downloaded Asset Control. To my surprise when clicking on the Internet Radio I get a whole bunch of various stations, can select by country, genre, etc.
    The only problem is, none of the stations I can select. The "note sign" on the left of each stations is crossed out in red.
    So, because I see the radio stations in Asset Control, do I also have access to them in Asset? And how do I play those stations?

dBpoweramp Guru

It means the player is not compatible with the radio streaming format, make sure a device appears under zone, and try changing the .radio streaming option.