title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: 13.3 : "Batch Convert large numbers ... folders and sub-folders"

13.3 : "Batch Convert large numbers ... folders and sub-folders"

From the dMC highlights:

"Batch Convert large numbers of files, be them in folders and sub-folders, with 1 click. ..." (emphasis added)

So does this mean that with 3.13 we can actually create dynamic subfolders in the target directory once again? Or is there still some expectation that it would be reasonable for us to convert large numbers of files/folder/subfolders and dump the results of a nicely structured library into a single output folder? (sarcasm added)

Last I read somewhere in the forum, withholding the "Dynamic" Output Folder feature from the free upgrades of the registered app was a fund raising scheme (force a paid Reference upgrade by holding back a core feature as a pros-only extra).

I'd gladly pay for a new license just to get the improved (restored) dMC for non-professionals -- it's a beautiful, essential app without which no music-loving pc is complete. But I'm not interested in using (let alone paying for) a more complex app that does lots of stuff I never need to do, just to get dynamic folders.

So if that's not now back in non-professional dMC, can I please pay to somehow put it back in?

Otherwise, I'm not really about to batch convert large numbers.

Re: 13.3 : "Batch Convert large numbers ... folders and sub-folders"

The highlight is correct, the Batch Converter converts multiple folders of files. However, to "keep the path" or specify a directory based on tags, you have to have Reference still. This was not a "fund-raising" scheme since the old "Keep Path" ended up causing confusion and problems in dMC r11 and below, hence why it was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    ... the old "Keep Path" ended up causing confusion and problems in dMC r11 and below, hence why it was changed.
    That doesn't make sense to me. What about the whole dynamic folder feature of CD Ripper, which is part of the same free upgrades:

Based on the forums, that causes at least at much trouble. I guess that'll be stripped from the next release?

"Keep folder structure" certainly causes less confusion that NOT keeping folder structure when batch converting large numbers of folders and files.

Of course, based on lack of supporting replies to this query, no one else seems bothered. So I'll register for Reference and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong. I intend no disrespect with this whinging. dMC is a gold-standard, essential app. I just think this decision was wrong, and it remains for me unjustified.

Administrator

The old 'Keep Path' method was never optimal (even though for some people it worked fine, heck it could even confuse me sometimes because there was a contradiction of possible options - ie you could keep the path and convert to same folder...), a decision was made to replace it with Dynamic Naming as to be more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The old 'Keep Path' method was never optimal (even though for some people it worked fine, heck it could even confuse me sometimes because there was a contradiction of possible options - ie you could keep the path and convert to same folder...), a decision was made to replace it with Dynamic Naming as to be more flexible.
    I am having issues with Artist Folder Name being created as well as a Sub Album Folder only for ripping AIFF files using multi encoder. All other directories are coming out just fine. Is this a setting that needs to be adjusted?

dBpoweramp Guru

With multi encoder each encoder has its own naming section, they would both need checking to make sure are correct.