title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drop out with hires flac

drop out with hires flac

After doing all optimization work mentioned in this forum I still have drop outs on my ripnas with asset 3 and hires flac files (176,4/24 and 192/24). May we expect improvements with asset 4? Thanks!

Administrator

Re: drop out with hires flac

Asset v4 does pre-buffer about 10 seconds of audio in internal ram, so potentially should be better than R3 if it was OS load which was causing the drop out (rather than network related).

Just got some improvements by deactivating the windows media connect server on the whs. so now just asset is running. but I still have some drop out. Any ideas which further services I can deactivate on the whs or XP to further improve the performance? Any further ideas to improve whs/XP performance running Asset? Thanks a lot!

I still have drop outs with 192/24 and 176,4/24 Flacs. A lot of people are using the Linn MDS without problems for that. I also tried a direct CAT 6 connection between the Asset NAS (HFX), the switch and the player. Thus, the Asset NAS should be the bottleneck. The built in Atom 270 runs only with 35% when the drop out are occurring. I already deactivated the housekeeping of the NAS during day times. Are there any people running 192/24 on the Asset NAS without drop outs?

I also have dropouts while streaming 96/24 FLAC files to my Marantz AV7005 A/V Processor - other uPnP servers I tested (TVeristy, Foobar2000 + plugin, ELyric) were working just fine... I am running Asset on a dedicated PC running Win2003 Server (4GB RAM, mostly allocated to system cache) and I am streaming over a dedicated 100Mbit network connection... There was no other program active on my PC at the time the dropouts were happening... Not sure what I should do... I really like the way Asset is handling large music collections - it's MUCH better than anything else I've tried, but I did not experience any dropouts with other uPnP servers...

Administrator

Are you running Asset v4?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Are you running Asset v4?
    I am running v3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt1232 View Post
    After doing all optimization work mentioned in this forum I still have drop outs on my ripnas with asset 3 and hires flac files (176,4/24 and 192/24). May we expect improvements with asset 4? Thanks!
    Do you have a link for the thread mentioning this optimization work... maybe there's something I should try?

Thanks!

I am afraid v4 did not solve my problem - I still have frequent dropouts with 96/24 FLAC files... Is the new v4 buffering enabled by default or do I have to enable it manually?

I did another test with TVeristy and there it works perfectly, no problem whatsoever - buffer is always at 100%.

The problem is that TVersity is much slower with very large libraries - Asset v4 scanned my 88.000 + files library in less than 1 hour, while TVersity took over 6 hours to do the same...

Maybe I'll have to keep both servers installed - use TVersity for hi-res streaming only (I don't have that many hi-res files) and use Asset for my large standard res library because it handles it better... Not sure which way to go at this time...

Administrator

It is enabled by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is enabled by default.
    Thanks!

Is there anything more I could try to solve this?

Administrator

I do not think there is.

OK, thanks for the replies.
    That's such a pity - this is such a great product otherwise... I really thought I'd found the ONE uPnP server...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Get the hi res stuff on a SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFork View Post
    Get the hi res stuff on a SSD.
    I would if that would be the problem but my hard disks are almost idle while streaming hi-res FLAC, I only see a read access every few seconds.
    As mentioned before I have tried many other uPnP servers and I only encountered this problem with Asset. I'm back to TVersity now - I even tried stress testing the disks by copying large files and running defragmentation while streaming in TVersity and I never managed to get the client buffer below 100%, it simply works perfectly all the time.