title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Dynamic Range

Dynamic Range

Would it be possible to calculate the dynamic range of tracks and the album as a whole during CD ripping and write both the track and album dynamic range values to appropriate tags. I would then like to create a container within Asset so that I can sort albums based on dynamic range (or ranges say DR10 - DR15 etc).

Anyone else interested in sorting by dynamic range?

Re: Dynamic Range

Quote Originally Posted by Husqcat View Post
    Would it be possible to calculate the dynamic range of tracks and the album as a whole during CD ripping and write both the track and album dynamic range values to appropriate tags. I would then like to create a container within Asset so that I can sort albums based on dynamic range (or ranges say DR10 - DR15 etc).

Anyone else interested in sorting by dynamic range?
    o/
    +1 here.

And also interested in a independent third party listings of albums and album dynamic range to name and praise /name and shame good recordings.
    (DR is only one aspect of recording quality; we don't need to hear a jumbo jet landing and a pin drop in every tune)

I came across a few sites the other day after someone on a music forum mentioned dynamic range day and the loudness wars cessation campaign.

There's a dynamic range database site which has listings of albums with the dynamic range of the album.
    There is a link to a tool for another audio tool which uploads to the DR database.

The database could do with a bit of work to make it more searchable
    The upload tool could do with a lot of work too.
    Academic really, as I'd rather stick with dBPoweramp Asset

(Not sure T&Cs allow me to post other sites & tools.)
    I was thinking as dBPowerAmp /Asset suite is becoming a de-facto standard ripping and streaming tool for those with high end audio systems (Naim, Linn etc) and that high end audio community would be have a greater than average interest in dynamic range this would be something that could be incorporated into the dBPoweramp suite and maybe the metadata providers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry to bump and old thread, but this is what came up in a search.

I was just searching for a way to do this as it would be a nice way to look at different mastering of albums.

+1 here too.

A DR value tag would be fun and useful to have. How about extending that idea with an "over" tag indicating how much over dbfs a file would play. It´s doable in Foobar2000 but I´d rather just use dBpoweramp to write the tags as I rip the track.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A dynamic range tool/tagger would be great for the audiophile enthusiast.

A DR value tag would be fun and useful to have. How about extending that idea with an "over" tag indicating how much over dbfs a file would play. It´s doable in Foobar2000 but I´d rather just use dBpoweramp to write the tags as I rip the track.