title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Installing dBpoweramp Reference R14.2 on Win7 Pro 64-bit

Cool Installing dBpoweramp Reference R14.2 on Win7 Pro 64-bit

Hi,

Firstly, this is not a complaint, I'm just seeking clarification. I have just purchased and registered dBpoweramp Reference R14.2. The website Products page states "dBpoweramp is compatible with Windows 7, Vista and XP (64 bit versions included)". However, on running dMC-R14.2-Ref-Registered.exe, the only install folder offered is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp" which suggests that there is no 64 bit version. The same is true of CD Writer R4 (dBpoweramp-CDWriter.exe). Are there actually 64 bit versions available? I am happy to run with 32 bit, but I imagine that the 64 bit address space would be beneficial for audio work.

Also, I am confused about the option for "Power Pack & mp3 License" or "Free minor version upgrades". What is the "Power Pack & mp3 License" and how much do minor version upgrades usually cost?

I've heard great things abouit your products, and I hope to become a long term user.

Thank you.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Installing dBpoweramp Reference R14.2 on Win7 Pro 64-bit

It runs perfectly on Win7 64-bit but the software itself is not 64-bit.

Administrator

Parts of dBpoweramp are 64 bit (the parts which require to be so), but 4GB memory (32 bit) is not a limitation for music conversion or CD Ripping.

Ok, that's cleared up the 64 bit issue - thanks to both.

Could you possibly explain the "Power Pack & mp3 License" and "minor version upgrades" option, and how do I choose which to have?

Thanks again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by algypug View Post
    Could you possibly explain the "Power Pack & mp3 License" and "minor version upgrades" option, and how do I choose which to have?
    I'm a customer, I don't answer for seller and developer, but:

A bit strange that the chart at http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm highights only the differences between the free version and the Reference (not the Power Pack). But according to http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm, then the Power Pack gives you the following:
    DSP Effects such as ReplayGain, Volume Normalize, or Graphic EQ [Power Pack Option],
    Advanced C2 pointers, drive offset removal, audio cache defeating, HTOA [Power Pack / Reference

Minor versions usually mean that if you bought 14.something then you will get for free any 14.somethingelse if and when that is released (but not 15.something).

Thanks for your input, Porcus. I'm still a bit confused, but it seems that I already have the Power Pack options in CD Ripper, so I'm not going to pursue this further. So far I am very impressed with the software and although there are many free alternatives, I am certain that it is excellent value. Also, I have found Spoon's Audio Guide to be very helpful.