title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M4A to AAC Questions

M4A to AAC Questions

[COLOR=*333333]I have some M4A MPEG4 (non-DRM) audio files that I converted to AAC.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=*333333]The M4A files are about 25MB, after conversion the AAC is <10MB.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=*333333]- Is this normal?[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=*333333]- Is the AAC quality (400kbps) of my files better than any MP3 (320kbs)?
    [/COLOR]-What encoder shouild I use for best quality (Force LC AAC, Force HE AAC, Force HE v2)?
    [COLOR=*333333]

IF not, how can I get the quality there?

Thanks!
    [/COLOR]

Re: M4A to AAC Questions

Actually, is there a way to take an M4A, and convert it to AAC as lossless?

If so, what codec do I use?

dBpoweramp Guru

This is a general audio question, not much related to dBpoweramp.

Keep this clear first:
    MP4 is a container format.
    M4A is not really a 'format', it is just that someone has started to rename MP4 files to .m4a if there is nothing but audio in there; this is getting accepted by most (?) players: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_...P4_versus_.M4A
    Being a container format, it contains the audio in some kind of codec.
    The two audio codecs frequently used in .m4a files, are (1) ALAC (which is lossless), and (2) AAC. In addition, other codecs are sometimes encountered, but they are rarer.
    Unless you have a very particular portable player which requires a file to be ".aac", there is usually no idea to use the raw .aac format -- you could just as well keep your AAC files in an m4a (then it supports tagging, etc.)

So: you had, originally, a file named filename.m4a. Either it is an ALAC stream, or it is an AAC stream. You need a tool that identifies the codec. For example, the foobar2000 music player does, but I bet there are lots of others.

Then when you have found out what it is: and what do you want to use it for?
    Last edited by Porcus; 03-13-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Hi!

Ok - I'm a DJ and belong to a music service for DJs that supplys M4A or MP3 (320) files to us for music.

My CD player will not play an M4A file (when I burn it as a data disc), but it will play AAC and MP3.

So I need to have something that is HIGH quality, as close to the M4A as I can get it.

If you can kindly take a look at my first post to this thread to see my results from trying.

I will say that when I converted to AAC, I did not get great quality.

What do you suggest?

Thank you so much!!

Administrator

Look in codec central, there is a m4a >> aac utility codec which is lossless (extracts the aac component).

Hi, I'm also trying to create raw .aac files, but I can't locate the above mentioned m4a >> aac utility codec. Is it still available?

Administrator

Doesn't seem to work with R15.1 (64-bit) anymore.

Doesn't seem to work with R15.1 (64-bit) anymore.

Administrator

You would have to force the 32 bit R15.1 install, see:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...-Compatibility

Can we expect a 64-bit version of dBpoweramp m4a utilities?

Administrator

Unlikely, we no longer publically link these utilities in Codec Central any more.

Hi. I'm using your nice software since many years. (I bought it perhaps 10 years ago). Since 64bit release, some functions have disappeared. Why discontinue useful functions as m4a to aac conversion ?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JII View Post
    Why discontinue useful functions as m4a to aac conversion ?
    It is not discontinued, but it is not implemented for 64bit already. See here: clickclack!

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    It is not discontinued, but it is not implemented for 64bit already. See here: clickclack!

Dat Ei
    Thank you but your link point to the present thread... Moreover, what's the difference between "discontinue" and "not implemented" to the current version ?