title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Unreliability of ripping speed change

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Unreliability of ripping speed change

I usually use RipNAS set to "Silent (x4)" ripping mode to keep the noise down and to preserve life in the bearings of the optical drive. Occasionally if I have a lot of discs to rip or I'm retrying after a bad rip I select "Maximum Speed", but I find this very rarely works immediately. It seems to take one or two more discs which are ripped at Silent before the RipNAS suddenly takes notice and switches to high speed. I have tried turning the ripping engine off and back on and this makes no difference. How can I make these buttons in the UI work reliably? Or are they simply broken?

Administrator

Re: Unreliability of ripping speed change

It will be the drive internally which is not responding instantly to the speed change, only by doing a full power off + power on would you get an 'instant' change.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK so this is more like a configuration setting. Pick an option and stick with it. Oh well. I've never found it to make any difference to errors in the rip, slow and fast have always produced the same result for me so I guess this isn't a big problem.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have tried changing the ripping speed to Maximum and then power cycling the RipNAS and it still has no effect. I did once manage to rip with the ST drive at Maximum speed but I have been unable to do this since. With the original TEAC drive this worked perfectly. Does the ST drive not support Maximum speed or is there a bug in RipNAS? I cannot believe this is functioning as intended.

Administrator

You would have to test multiple discs, as when a disc is inserted into the drive, the drive reads the outer edge and sets the maximum speed for that one disc.