title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper & WINE: Audio CDs not detected

CD Ripper & WINE: Audio CDs not detected

Hi !

Is anyone using CD-Ripper under WINE / Linux successfully?

In my setup CD Ripper does not see any Audio CDs.

I am using WINE 1.3.33, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit. Ubuntu itself correctly identifies the CD drives, and the Audio CDs. The CD-Rom-Drives are internal ATAPI drives, and external Plextor drives connected via firewire. If I put data CDs in those drives and mount them, winecfg sees all these drives (even the external ones), too.

So accessing data CDs via WINE does work.

But Audio CDs seem to be invisible to CD Ripper.

How did you manage to get this setup to work?
    -Do you use a specific ASPI diver?
    -Which communication setting did you select in CD Ripper -> Options?
    -Which Windows Version did you select in winecfg?

Any other ideas? Any help would really be appreciated. I like using Ubuntu and buying a Win7 license just for ripping seems to be a waste of money to me.

Very best wishes
    Pete

Administrator

Re: CD Ripper & WINE: Audio CDs not detected

You need to configure wine to pass the drives through as SCSI rather than emulated drives (off the top of my head).

Hey Spoon,

many thanks for the help. But AFAIK, there is no option to "pass the drives through as SCSI". Wine should support this out if the box.

Is anyone here who actually has a working wine / CD Ripper setup? Maybe it is just not possible?

Very best wishes
    Pete

Hi,
    I have a Mint-10 64bit PC and have not got dBPoweramp to rip a cd yet... however on the very same hardware I have a dual boot (but rarely used) to Fedora FC13 where I did get dBPoweramp to rip a CD, although I could not get CDEMU to work with it. I had made some WAVE/Cue for CDS that are now somewhere in boxes in the garage, so I wanted to use CDEMU + dBPoweramp to fix the tag data.
    I'll have another look later and see what the settings on Fedora were.
    But it may be a choice of Fedora based or Ubuntu based wine that makes the difference.

I managed to get this to work, finally, I posted the solution here in the Winehq forum:
    http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=70438*70438

Same issue for me - thanks to boneshaker355 for his post. However when the poweramp does find the CD it does not find any album art. Even if directed to jpg files on laptop it does not open. Does not seem to recognise the jpg format.
    Grateful for ay assistance.
    In addition having upgraded to muliple use can you provide what version of Linux & WINE was used to support the statement the compatability with WINE statement?
    Kind Regards,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BorisPlankton View Post
    Same issue for me - thanks to boneshaker355 for his post. However when the poweramp does find the CD it does not find any album art. Even if directed to jpg files on laptop it does not open. Does not seem to recognise the jpg format.
    Grateful for any assistance.
    In addition having upgraded to multiple use can you provide what version of Linux & WINE was used to support the statement the compatability with WINE statement?
    Kind Regards,
    Paul
    Bump.Grateful for reponse on this.

Quote Originally Posted by BorisPlankton View Post
    Bump.Grateful for reponse on this.
    Bump again

OK I am thinking I am not going to get response on this.
    For information I seem to have full functionality on Ubuntu 12.04LTS with WINE 1.6.
    On Ubuntu 13.04 it has the drive mounting issue and when I have resolved that I cannot find any album at work.
    TBH I am little tired of the Linux 'it works with WINE' line on a range of software not just Dbpoweramp. I mean what lies behind this statement and what testing has actually been done.
    Anyways I am now moving on................................

Administrator

It was tested many years ago with Linux...and it worked 100%

the trouble is, there are many different types of linux, if an earlier version works (on disc detection) but a later one does not, then that suggests it is the linux that has the problem, not only would dbpoweramp be affected, but every CD ripper running through wine.

You are giving up to easily.....

I just installed CD Ripper under wine and I think the trick is to configure CD drive in a way that Windows expect it. I had to perform same config for EAC to work. Here what I did following EAC thread from here (Linux Mint 15, wine-1.4.1)

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/cdrom0
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    add to the end of the file
    Code:
    /dev/sr0   /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec   0 0
    Then start wine configuration, autodetect drives, select /media/cdrom0 and set it to CD drive.

Works for me for both EAC and CD Ripper.