title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long should the upload take?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How long should the upload take?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    @mville - we cannot go into technical details as it might give our competitors an insight, I will just say that we have the worlds most advanced audio backup technology by an order of magnitude (even when compared to Apples iCloud).
    Spoon, understood.

Just to clarify something though. Based on the worlds most advanced audio backup technology, is it possible for 277MB of flac files to be uploaded to the AudioSAFE in say less than 2 minutes (my max upload being approx 800kbps)?

I've been running it for 3 hours and uploaded less than a single album. I have a 4 Mbps upstream, yet the upload speed appears to be a fraction of that.

At this rate it would take about a year and a half to upload the whole library. I can't even imagine how bad it would be if you actually had to restore lost data.

I'll pass. There are actually some online backup systems that are worth paying for. This sure isn't one of them.

Administrator

If you have security software, as a test disable it, we have seen Kaspersky effectively kill all major communications between your computer and AudioSAFE server.

I have a 1 Mbps upload and an album (that AudioSAFE knows nothing about) takes about 30 minutes.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have a 1 Mbps upload and an album (that AudioSAFE knows nothing about) takes about 30 minutes.
    So how long for an album that AudioSAFE knows about?

Spoon:

My connection is 4 megabits per second up, 20 megabits per second down. As you warned in an earlier message, AudioSafe's backup speed was limited to 600 kilobits per second... So, best case, my 420GB collection would have uploaded in a little over two months. Because I'm not able to upload 24/7, though, it actually took four months to backup my collection; I started in November and it just finished this morning. Which seems ridiculous, but I don't really mind.

Now I'm performing the "Restore & Verify Whole Collection (Originals Untouched)" step. I imagined that either a) AudioSafe would send hashes of every megabyte or something, or b) that if it was going to download every byte, it would download at close to 20Mbps; this would allow my collection to be verified in about 2 days.

It appears that AudioSafe is sending every byte back to me. But it's sending them at no more than 2 megabits per second -- only about 10% of my available download bandwidth -- and there are long pauses, with no disc or CPU activity, after every song's download. For example, AudioSafe just took 100 seconds to download an 18MB FLAC of a 4-minute song, then waited 40 seconds before beginning to download the next song.

At this rate, verification of my collection will take about five weeks if I can verify 24/7, or ten weeks if I'm as limited as I was during the upload. Again, this seems ridiculous... But I still don't really mind.

I do, however, wonder whether this very slow download/verify speed is the expected behavior. Is it?

Administrator

420GB is a large amount of data to shift through the internet (Apple had problems delivering 3GB OS installs a while back...), 400GB is more than 100x more...

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    How is this possible? Just curious. :o
    I don't know how Spoon does it but considering they have a database of hashcodes for perfect rips of cds and a large userbase of well encoded MP3s (or lossless file formats especially) it seems they could minimize the file storage on the backend fairly easily through standard deduplication as well as having a thorough understanding of how music file formats are built (change a tag, it can know to just update the tag part of a file). I'm very interested in how this project goes but I'm still waiting for a report back on when deduplication starts to actually reduce the amount uploaded before I jump in. :o

420GB is a large amount of data to shift through the internet (Apple had problems delivering 3GB OS installs a while back...), 400GB is more than 100x more...
    Yes, but of course it all travels 1500 bytes at a time, and AudioSafe seemed to shift the last megabyte as slowly as the first megabyte.

But if you don't want to discuss it, that's fine. I'm glad you're providing this service, and I don't need to know anything about how it works. I'm just providing beta-test feedback: Upload rate at approximately 70% duty cycle was 100GB/month, and download rate at 100% duty cycle is about 15GB/day so far.

It's not clear to me what will happen if I interrupt the download, but I'll find out tomorrow morning when I have to move my laptop. I hope that when I restart the Verify process, AudioSafe will pick up where it left off.

AudioSAFE is designed to run in the background, unnoticed, it is not in the remit to say file XYZ is backing up.

@mville - we cannot go into technical details as it might give our competitors an insight, I will just say that we have the worlds most advanced audio backup technology by an order of magnitude (even when compared to Apples iCloud).
    Like others I have an up connection of at least 2Mb/s but in my brief experience I'm getting a fraction of that. The issue for me is that my music collection is 600Gigs (without my SACDS) and further is growing faster than you can apparently back it up and I haven't gotten serious about ripping my multiple thousand SACD collection Also I don't know if you notice when just meta-data changes and only resend that instead of the whole files, but I have a lot of churn while I'm figuring out how to best aquire covers and do tagging: right now I change about 200 Gigs of files a week.

It might be the "the worlds most advanced audio backup technology" and I like your pricing structure but it just doesn't work for me, especially compared with fast 3TB USB3 drives going for $120 apiece at Costco right now. I can sprinkle backups in the car, at work, next to my laptop, etc. and have much better accessibility (and probably higher reliability) with any number of simple (fast) backup programs.