title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DAP and Windows 7 - 64 bit

About as far east in the United States as you can go

Red face DAP and Windows 7 - 64 bit

I am a registered power pack user since 2002, been using the whole "DB Power" audio package almost daily since then. Until a couple of months ago when my HP with XP crashed on me. I have finally purchased another computer with Windows 7 - 64 bit operating system.
    I had not been to either the DB Power home page or the forum in a while, and it seems like there are some new things here. The more I read about it all, the more confused I get.........
    I fell in love with DAP when I first used it, I think it was that first day I registered the power pack. I understand that DAP is no longer supported, but will it still work with Win. 7 - 64 bit??
    I still have my hard drive from the crashed HP, and I still have access to all of the program files as well as any of the install executable files. I still have the order number for my registration of the power pack from back in 2002. I want to keep all of the info contained in the MMC, and I can get that file. I assume that UPlayer will not act the same way as DAP. I really liked the amp, the tray control, and the little mini control that stayed on top. I assume that UPlayer is only a command line player, and does not have the visual player that DAP had??
    The features that I liked and used daily were:
    1) DAP, the player
    2) MMC, I liked the way this worked. I even made a skin to go with "Golden Wonder"
    3) DMC, with the power pack it had everything I wanted to do. Right click to decode or encode, I used this daily.
    4) Auxiliary Input, I didn't use this daily, but loved it whenever I used it.

The big question here is how do I proceed??
    Do I install dBpowerAMP-r3-beta6?
    Do I download the newer version of dBpoweramp Music Converter R14?
    Do I have to install in different directories??
    Is there Aux Input anymore??

Now that I have a new computer, I am dying to start using DB Power again, sick of using ITunes from the laptop with tinny little speakers.
    Thanks for a great product.......
    Da Floyd

Re: DAP and Windows 7 - 64 bit

I am using Windows Vista 64 bit without a problem, and I wouldn't xpect you to have a problem with Windows 7. You may have to designate Windows to treat this program as an XP program, but that should only be necessary once.

Now dAP, dB CD Writer r1 and r2, and any versions of dMC (dB poweramp Music Converter) below dMC r 12.0 run on an entirely different programming platform than dMC r12+ (including dMC r14) and dB CD Writer 3 and each uses a different set of codecs.

It follows from this that you don't need dMC r14 to run dAP (which will work as a stand-alone program). If you do have htese 2 programs on the same computer, you need to make sure that they are installed in different folders and that any associated programs (including the codecs) are from the proper source (the older programs use codecs from Legacy Codec Central and the newer programs use the codecs from Codec Central) and are installed in the proper folders. Mistakes will cause the programs to crash because of the incompatability between the older and newer sets of programs.

Auxiliary Input was last available with dMC r11.5 and has not been available since dMC r12. So you if you want to continue to use Auxiliary Input, you will need dMC r11.5 (which you would install in the same folder as dAP and with which you would use the Legacy codecs).

There is a new player (dB Renaissance) that is compatable with the new platform. This operates on a command-line structure right now (Spoon is working on a GUI interface, I believe but this is only one of several priorities for him).

You may find it a bit tricky to locate install versions of the older programs as technicaclly these are no longer supported by Illustrate but if you use the Search function of hte program you should be able to locate some links for those if you should need them. If you run into problems, please let us know.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Thanks for the quick reply, barely had time to have a sip of coffee......
    So when you say to install in a different directory, do I have DAP and DMC (version 12 or later) go to "Program Files (x86)" or to "Program Files"??
    The file path on XP was "Program Files/Illustrate/DB PowerAmp" or something similar.
    Do I have the file path "Program Files (x86)/Illustrate 1" for one and "Program Files (x86)/Illustrate 2" for the other??
    Or is it "Program Files/Illustrate " for the older DAP program, and "Program Files (x86)/Illustrate" for the newer programs??
    Thanks for the help, I just want to get it right the first time....

Another question, what does my old registered power pack get me these days?? Is it the newer DMC with power pack registered?? Anything else?? I never had the CD Writer installed.....
    Thanks again....
    Da Floyd

Windows should (I believe) place both sets of programs under Program Files (x86). As to the folder naming, Illustrate 1 and Illustrate 2 should do ok (so would Illustrate and Illustrate 1, I use dAP and dBpowerAMP). Just don't get them mixed up.

The old Power Pack will not be helpful for any of the newer programs but would be helpful for the older programs (although I believe there was only 1 Poweer Pack feature that appplied to dAP and the rest would be helpful for dMC dB CD Writer r1 and r2 and for Sveta (the other older platform program). The newer dMC and CD Writer 3 come in 3 configurations - a free version, a version with Power Pack (which is registered but, as I said, no longer includes free version upgrades), and a Reference version (also registered) which includes CD Writer 3 and a few additional features. For more information on the different versions of the new dMC, click on the Products tab.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Aux Input won't work on any version of Windows past Windows XP, even if you did install the PowerPack.

Your old PowerPack gets you the latest version of dMC with the PowerPack only, as stated here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12483
    Differences between the PowerPack and Reference versions are here: http://dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

Aux Input won't work on any version of Windows past Windows XP, even if you did install the PowerPack.
    I stand corrected. LtData is right about this as well as about this:
    Your old PowerPack gets you the latest version of dMC with the PowerPack only, as stated here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12483
    If I reall corectly, versions of the Windows OS starting with Vista handle the sound card configuration in ways that does not allow direct access to the sound as it is procewssed by the sound card.

Best wishes,
    Bill

dBpoweramp Guru

some archived versions found here older versions

Auxiliary Input (Beta) was the last stand alone version before being included in dMC - r11

Thanks for all the tips, most things are working fine.
    I installed everything as you had said, but a couple of things I still can not get to work right.
    1) The music icon - It always shows up as the "mickey mouse ears" as I call them. The blue, green and red dots, and what I want is the gold CD looking icon in both explorer and in MMC. I have gone to configuration / install options (and or) / file associations more than once, and nothing seems to be working. I have the program running under Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatability. Any Ideas??
    2) When I right click on a file, or multiple selected files, there is not an option to "add to dap", I can go to MMC and add files or folders from there, but I liked the right click and add option. Was this a "power pack" option?? I still have all of my program files for when XP was running, and there is a "powerpack.bin" file there, would that help if I installed it in my current program files?
    3) I really like the older version of the Music Converter better, call me an old geezer, but the interface seemed better to me. I could have a sound played after conversion was complete, presets for the file string options, just little things like that. Maybe I just don't like change...... But is there any way to get the old version of the Music Converter with the registered Power Pack installed??
    Thanks again for all the help
    Da Floyd

So what is going to happen if I put the "powerpack.bin" file from my old program files in my existing program files????
    I know my questions are not earth shattering, but they are important to me to get DBPowerAmp working the way it did in XP.
    Thanks, Da Floyd

Administrator

Power Pack bin relates only to Music Converter, not dAP which was never restricted in anyway.