title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Possible bug: Comment tag "disapperars" in other apps

Possible bug: Comment tag "disapperars" in other apps

Concerning the "comment" tag (FLAC & ALAC):
    For some reason it seems that info written into the comment tag when ripping using dBpoweramp v13.x becomes invisible when viewing taginfo/properties in other applications, such as Mediamonkey and the excellent Tagscanner. When right-clicking & using "Edit ID-Tag", the info is clearly there, in the "Comment" tag, it just seems that the tag (or rather: it's content) becomes unreadable in apps such as those mentioned.

When editing/inserting info into the comment tag using one of those apps and then saving, the info is there upon reopening the file in both MediaMonkey and Tagscanner. When right-click-viewing the edited file using "Edit ID - Tag", the "Comment" tag is replaced by a "COMMENT" tag (which is viewable in all applications mentioned). As I have a lot of FLAC and ALAC-files ripped using dBpoweramp CD-ripper, extensively making use of the Comment Tag, it would be nice to be able to view this info in other tag- and Music Management tools, not just in dBpoweramps "Edit ID - Tag" tool. Spoon, Is this a bug in how dBpoweramp writes the comment tag to the file, or, if not - is there a way to still view this info in those other tools, as well as in iTunes? Maybe there could be a way to run a batch-process/app on all dBpoweramp Comment-tagged files in order to make the "Comment" tag compatible? A fix would be much appreciated!:komisch9:

NB:Posted this in another thread yesterday (by mistake - sorry 'bout that)

Administrator

Re: Possible bug: Comment tag "disapperars" in other apps

Comment, COMMENT or cOmMeNT are all the same as far as FLAC is concerned, the other applications should read all the 3 shown here as the same.

OK, I thought so. But it's still strange how some of the FLAC-files' tags (Tagscanner indentifies them as type VORBIS) are not shown in MediaMonkey and TagScanner. I converted (using dMC) one such FLAC file to ALAC, and then the tags was OK, i.e it seems that this problem only concerns VORBIS tags and that ALAC (m4a) files are OK, so my previous statement that this also concerns ALAC seems to be wrong...
    Another tag that don't show up in the mentioned apps are "grouping", while a "composer" tag like 'George Gershwin/Ila Gershwin/Dubose Heyward'
    is OK in ALAC, but is only shown as ''George Gershwin' when viewing the FLAC-file.
    I also converted the ALAC-file back to FLAC using dMC, but the problem was still there (but doing the same using MediaMonkey, ALL tags were OK in all apps).
    When editing the mentioned tags in Tagscanner and saving, the data is OK, but if I then open and save the file using "Edit ID - Tag" , they are "gone" (the rest of the tags are OK, thought) in Tagscanner and MediaMonkey (but still there when using "Edit ID - Tag".
    So, in order to get the FLAC-tags OK, I could actually convert them to ALAC using dMC, and then convert them back to FLAC using e.g. MediaMonkey. But that seems to be a drag... Any ideas? I'd be happy to send you one of my FLAC-files, but I expect this problem is not limited to just MY dBpoweramp FLAC-encoded files...?

Administrator

You would have to ask MediaMonkey why they cannot read those tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    OK, I've posted this problem on the MediaMonkey forum, and I've sent an email to the Tagscanner developer (http://www.xdlab.ru/en/index.htm).

Best regards
    ORBATOME

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    From the MM forum:
    MM reads comment from COMMENT and DESCRIPTION, but only writes to COMMENT. Where is dBpoweramp saving it to?

Administrator

Description

Reply from Sergey Serkov, the developer of Tagscanner:

"According official documentaion for Vorbis tags .DESCRIPTION - A short text description of the contents.
    Almost all software and hardware use COMMENT field and ignore Description.
    Grouping tag named CONTENTGROUP in most software.
    Tagscanner and MM has fixed list of supported field names and their alias.

About text trimming. Some programs like dMC write multiple values to separated fields. I.e. composer=George Gershwin/Ila Gershwin/Dubose Heyward transformed into COMPOSER=George Gershwin COMPOSER=Ila Gershwin COMPOSER=Dubose Heyward. My program read only first field.

This controversial issue and I think about adding support for multiple fields and fields with user-defined names."

I then asked Sergey if there is any chance of him implementing the same kind of functionality as in MediaMonkey (i.e.READING both COMMENT and DESCRIPTION) in Tagscanner:

I think about program mode without fixed mapping of fields like in dMC or foobar2000.

At this time tagscanner can read 4! variants of Album Artist field and write value to user-seleced field. I can do same thing for Comment if I fail with mapping-free mode .

I've also sent one of my FLAC-files to MediaMonkey Support in order to investigate why MM can't seem to read the Description into the Comment tag.
    I will post the result of this here.

Best regards
    ORBATOME

Reply from MediaMonkey Support:

"I've been able to reproduce / confirm the problem that you reported. Thanks for taking the time to help us get to the bottom of this.

I've noted the problem in our bug database, and we'll notify you as soon as we have any news."

----------
    Regards
    ORBATOME

Administrator

In dBpoweramp Configuration >> Codec Settings >> Advanced Settings

You can set FLAC Vorbis Comment to write as Comment (if you really want to).