title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error: Converting FLAC 24bit/96Khz Vinyl FLAC to .m4a Nero AAC

Question Error: Converting 24bit/96Khz Vinyl FLAC to Nero .m4a AAC

The specific error message is:
    Error writing audio data to StdIn Pipe [clEncoder::EncodeBlock]
    I found 1 related thread already started about this, but it was not sufficient help for me.
    I am not looking to add any DSP effects to this conversion

(unless you tell me I have absolutely no choice);

and my goal is to down-convert from the very high quality Vinyl FLAC to the
    "highest" quality digital audio compression that my portable Zune player can use
    (which happens to be .m4a)
    So, it might also be important to note that I've only been using
    dBpoweramp for the music converter (dMC as u all call it), and only for a few months (since recently
    being introduced to .flac files). Any and all help is appreciated on this matter.

*EDIT*
    I tried what Spoon said in this thread: HERE
    and it PARTIALLY worked. BUT! I'm worried that I may have distorted
    the quality or compression of the 24bit/96Khz Vinyl FLAC. How would I know? I did
    what Spoon said and used DSP effects; but since I'm not an audio expert, I don't know
    if the resulting compression I'm listening to is the best quality it can be (coming from the 24bit/96Khz Vinyl FLAC).

Specifically, I used "Bit Depth = depth 16bit" and "Resample = frequency 44100"
    Now, so as to not begin another thread, I received the following error for only 2 of the audio files
    while converting it to .m4a as stated, with the settings specified above:
    Error converting to m4a Nero (AAC) Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File
    I haven't tried to play the song yet, but it did convert completely. I'm guessing maybe I'll notice a problem when I playback the file...
    Last edited by FlashFire; 07-26-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Duplicate words

Re: Error: Converting 24bit/96Khz Vinyl FLAC to Nero .m4a AAC

Are you using any DSP effects? Try using the bit depth DSP effect and set it to 16-bit and using the "Resample" DSP effect and setting it to 44.1KHz. Do you still get the error?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    Are you using any DSP effects? Try using the bit depth DSP effect and set it to 16-bit and using the "Resample" DSP effect and setting it to 44.1KHz. Do you still get the error?
    Sorry, I was editing while you were posting a reply. To answer again, yes I decided to use DSP effects,
    and it worked for 8 out of 10 of the audio files. As shown above I got another error with 2 of the audio files during conversion w/ the DSP effects.
    As I asked in my first post above (in edit), is it possible to NOT have to use DSP effects? My goal is to convert the Vinyl .FLAC to the
    highest quality digital audio my Zune supports (which is .m4a) while minimizing the breakdown of quality during down-convert as much as possible.
    I guess what I'm trying to ask is: by using DSP effects, does it affect the original quality of the .FLAC file?
    Last edited by FlashFire; 07-26-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Re: Error: Converting FLAC 24bit/96Khz Vinyl FLAC to .m4a Nero AAC

Forums wouldn't let me edit this time!, (sorry for double post):

...I think i figured out what the result was of that error and how it affected the converted file.
    I don't know what caused the errror or how to fix it yet, but when I went to listen to those two
    converted songs which produced the error, near the very end of the song, it cut off. So, the song was not complete.
    Any thoughts? (other than the song cutting off, the sound quality was fantastic! (and again we're talking about my second error:
    Error converting to m4a Nero (AAC) Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File,
    not my first one, the title of thread)
    Last edited by FlashFire; 07-26-2008 at 12:05 PM.

No, the DSP effects you are using won't affect the original files, just the converted files.

Also, the forums have a time limit of either 30 mins to an hour where you can edit your posts. This is to prevent spammers from coming in and making posts, then editing them later with their spam.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    No, the DSP effects you are using won't affect the original files, just the converted files.

Also, the forums have a time limit of either 30 mins to an hour where you can edit your posts. This is to prevent spammers from coming in and making posts, then editing them later with their spam.
    Ok thanks. What are your thoughts (if any) regarding that second error and how I can fix it?
    Like I explained, from listening to the file entirely after it was converted, the sound quality is fantastic,
    but the end of the song is cut off (...for both songs that gave me this error - the second one in my post).