title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can you upconvert from .mp3 to .m4a?

Exclamation Can you upconvert from .mp3 to .m4a?

Basically, just like the question asks in the title:
    Can you upconvert from .mp3 to .m4a without experiencing "loss" of the audio file or quality?
    The reason I ask, is I don't have a great ear; I can't tell a huge difference between .mp3 and .m4a. To me,
    the .m4a sounds like it has more depth, bass and the voices are clearer, and a bit louder. But my natural logic
    tells me you can't "upconvert" anything (going from a lower quality item to a higher quality item). That would be
    like trying to make 5$ out of 2.50$ wouldn't it? It's not possible in my mind...BUT! nonetheless, I tried it;
    converting 1 of my mp3 songs to an .m4a. It sounds decent, and a bit louder; I just can't honestly tell
    if the quality is improved or not. If anyone knows about this, or can provide feedback, please do.

I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    EDIT
    I do apologize, I didn't think there was a thread regarding this matter, but when I did a search on google,
    I found this: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13797 If anyone else has anything
    to add to this subject other than what Bill explained in the above linked thread, please do.
    Last edited by FlashFire; 07-26-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Re: Can you upconvert from .mp3 to .m4a?

Well, what would basically happen is that the m4a encoder would apply the acoustic properties to the audio from your mp3 file, altering it which would probably explain the loudness. However, it is impossible to gain any quality when you convert from one lossy format to another. As the old saying goes, you cannot get blood from a rock, or something.

Re: Can you upconvert from .mp3 to .m4a?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    Well, what would basically happen is that the m4a encoder would apply the acoustic properties to the audio from your mp3 file, altering it which would probably explain the loudness. However, it is impossible to gain any quality when you convert from one lossy format to another. As the old saying goes, you cannot get blood from a rock, or something.
    Exactly what I thought. Thank you.:p