title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Tag wav files?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tag wav files?

Hi, I'm new to all this stuff so excuse my ignorance. I'm ripping my collection for archival purposes into wav. When I add these wav files into windows media player or itunes there is no info. I can see that the files have tags though. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tag wav files?

WMP (Windows Media Player) and iTunes can't read the tags dMC writes to WAV files. Use WMA Lossless, as both WMP and iTunes can read the tags and play the files.

Wow that was quick!

Are there any other lossless formats that will allow iTunes and WMP to read the metadata? (flac, etc...)
    What do you use for lossless? And if you don't use WMA lossless what do about the album info in itunes?
    Last edited by LucrativeFuture; 06-29-2008 at 08:34 PM.

I use Wavpack, but for playing on my computer I use a m4a lossless archive I keep that is also transferred to my iPod. The Wavpack lossless is just for archiving purposes.

FLAC isn't readable by WMP natively, though there are plugins where you can play the file and read the tags, not sure about FLAC iTunes though. I know ALAC (Apple Lossless) is readable by iTunes, but not sure about ALAC in WMP.

my understanding is that iTunes only 'supports' wma lossless by converting it to ALAC. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

WMP can be forced to play ALAC. There's a long thread on hydrogenaudio about using dc bass source to do so (google "WMP11 ALAC"), although it never quite worked for me--I think I had better luck with MCEtunes, although I'm not sure if the fact I currently have dc bass source installed is helping in some way, lol

I have no experience with iTunes, so I can't tell you for sure how it behaves, I was just giong on what others have told me.

Out of my curiosity, why do you need both iTunes and WMP?