title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tag wav files?

Tag wav files?

Hi, I'm new to all this stuff so excuse my ignorance. I'm ripping my collection for archival purposes into wav. When I add these wav files into windows media player or itunes there is no info. I can see that the files have tags though. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tag wav files?

WMP (Windows Media Player) and iTunes can't read the tags dMC writes to WAV files. Use WMA Lossless, as both WMP and iTunes can read the tags and play the files.

Wow that was quick!

Are there any other lossless formats that will allow iTunes and WMP to read the metadata? (flac, etc...)
    What do you use for lossless? And if you don't use WMA lossless what do about the album info in itunes?
    Last edited by LucrativeFuture; 06-29-2008 at 08:34 PM.

I use Wavpack, but for playing on my computer I use a m4a lossless archive I keep that is also transferred to my iPod. The Wavpack lossless is just for archiving purposes.

FLAC isn't readable by WMP natively, though there are plugins where you can play the file and read the tags, not sure about FLAC iTunes though. I know ALAC (Apple Lossless) is readable by iTunes, but not sure about ALAC in WMP.

my understanding is that iTunes only 'supports' wma lossless by converting it to ALAC. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

WMP can be forced to play ALAC. There's a long thread on hydrogenaudio about using dc bass source to do so (google "WMP11 ALAC"), although it never quite worked for me--I think I had better luck with MCEtunes, although I'm not sure if the fact I currently have dc bass source installed is helping in some way, lol

I have no experience with iTunes, so I can't tell you for sure how it behaves, I was just giong on what others have told me.

Out of my curiosity, why do you need both iTunes and WMP?

I use iTunes for my iPod and podcasts, and WMP for Windows Media Center (streaming to my Xbox). What do you use in place of iTunes for your iPod?

Floola, as Sveta doesn't yet like videos on the iPod or support album art.

Unhappy Re: Tag wav files?

This does not sound logical to me. WMP 10/11 both support full WAV file tagging in the library. For example WMP 11 will rip to WAV and the tags work perfectly. All I am asking for dBpoweramp to do is rip and use the same tagging parameters as a ubiquitous player like WMP. Why would that only work for lossless rips in dBpoweramp?

Administrator

dBpoweramp can tag wav files to the standard of WMP11, but there are limited fields.

Question Re: Tag wav files?

Does that limit prevent these files from displaying in MCE?

What would be required for dBpoweramp to rip to the same folder as WMP and store the same metadata that WMP stores?

Administrator

We can only tag the wave file, WMP also has an internal database.

Do other players make better use of the wave file tags generated by dBpoweramp?

Administrator

There are a handful, we write 2x tags WAVE LIST & Wave ID3v2, these are the two standards, but not hugely used. You really are better using something like WMA Lossless.

Re: Tag wav files? and more

I have seriously hard tagging questions. Lots of issues.

We work in a variety of formats and they must stay as that format. So 96/24/2.0 files are tagged with LIST and ID3 with Album Art. This is the best I can seem to do with anything (including Tag&Rename, etc...) and it doesn't work in anything (iTunes). Also, an older version of dB seemed to write a BEXT v1 chunk, but that is now gone but probably not needed. The dB configuration for WAV tags may have the answer. Is there some way of setting this so it will work with iTunes? We also have 96/24/5.1 files to tag, and I have had trouble getting dB to even get the cover to stick, though this seems to happen when I don't get a ID3 chunk. I usually tag the WMA lossless files first and then convert to WAV from that. Some times I only get the LIST chunk, but sometimes I get both the LIST and ID3. If I only have the LIST chunk the album art can be added but it won't stick (I think).

I thought I had the cover showing in WinAMP, but no more. It does show the some of the Metadata. Itunes won't read anything, which makes sorting impossible.

All our albums appear on DVD-Audio or SACD, so there is no CD database and never will be. We are looking to getting our catalog to AMG a they will at least do it from DVD.

Lastly, and sorry off topic, it seems WMA covers are embedded into the folder structure with invisible files that don't even show up when you choose Explorer's Show Hidden Files. But they also seem to get embedded in the files, but only sometimes. Any hints? It takes a year and day to embed covers into each file one at a time.

Thanks in advance!