title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: rip a CopyControl protected CD?

rip a CopyControl protected CD?

hi,

just tried to rip a CD which is protected by the copycontrol system:

http://www.bmg-copycontrol.info/

The CDs hangs my system after the second track.
    Any hope?

?
    is it just me or is there no solution to this copycontrol yet?

I found 1 post on usenet of one polish guy who wrote a crack for it but it only runs under Linux:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....gda.pl&rnum=1

don't tell me there is no way to rip those CDs under Windows yet!

Administrator
    Audio CD Input >> Little menu next to Options >> Audio CD Parameters

Make sure the track lengths are right with what a normal CD player says.

they look OK.

(in EAC they don't) but in dMC they do.

Administrator
    What if you try track 4 or 5?

hangs too

Administrator
    It will be your CD drive that is stopping it, they will have set the end of the disc (falsely) just after track 1, that make of CD will not rip past that.

Re: rip a CopyControl protected CD?

What is the status on this?
    I have 18-20 cd's with CopyControl the type that EMI, BMG, Virgin and Mute used, the logo like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control
    And also some cd's have the image in the first post togheter with this.

Just to make sure, this is NOT the socalled copyprotection scheme where you could just hold shift to don't run some software/rootkit that was on the cd's, this is a scheme where the tracks are garbled with crazy stuff in the error-correction tracks(or whatever) on the cd's.

some old and cheap cd-audio players will play these, but newer will not, I have an cd player that set be back about $1700 (yes, I know, kinda crazy), and that player will not play these cd's, It can play some tracks, but not all.

dMC can ripp some of these tracks, the same that can be played by the other player, but it cannot ripp all, it just kinda hangs the computer (I can cancel it of course). If I tell dMC "defective by design", then, well, it rips it.. but the track is totally useless, skips all over the place.

Just for a note, I HAVE ripped most of these before, on an older computer, where I used Windows XP 32bit, and CDEX ripper, and all tracks was very playable. Now I'm running Vista 64bit, new computer, and CDEX is not very usable here, so I was hoping that dMC could do my stuff.. but alas, no..

I guess there are options, settings etc to make it do this, but in that case, how?