title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I play FLAC files in DBpowerAmp

how do I play FLAC files in DBpowerAmp

I just downloaded DBpowerAmp to see if it would play FLAC files directly rather than decoding them to the much larger WAV format first - the information suggests this is possible. I tried downloading and installing both the current FLAC Codec (release 9) and the legacy FLAC codec. If I try the current release 9 FLAC codec, installation reports "error whilst running 'c:\program files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\dBconfig.exe'. This is not surprising since there is no executable by that name in the directory. If I try the legacy Codec, installation produces an error message that it cannot run a different file.

I don't want to convert formats, I just want to listen to FLAC files directly - is this supported? What am I doing wrong?

Administrator

Re: how do I play FLAC files in DBpowerAmp

The installers are just trying to inform music converter of a new codec, if you have no music converter installed ignore that error.

dMC doesn't play files, you need the dBpoweramp Audio Player to play files. See http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm if you do decide to do this. Note that you need to use the Legacy FLAC codec if you use dAP.

ok, either I am really dense, or I wasn't clear enough in my initial question - I installed the music player only - the program whose main executable is amp.exe. This thing will directly play WAV files, so it must be a music player - it has a skin that looks like a low end stereo amp, and a volume control and play controls - this is the music player, right?

So, I want to play FLAC files with it - if I try to install the new CODEC, I get the error message I quoted. If I try to install the legacy codec (version 5.3), I get "error whilst running 'c:\program files\illustrate\dBpoweramp\MusicConverter.exe"

of course, I don't have music converter installed, so obviously it can't run it.

interestingly this time (the 5th time I swapped between old and new CODECS) it seems to now play FLAC files, though the buttons on the skin randomly turn black until I slide the mouse over them - is this normal behavior?

all in all, this has been a rather odd vacation in the land of anomalous digital behavior - I'll see if it keeps working for a while - very odd.

In Spoon's posting he mentions that you can ignore the message.

Not sure about the buttons turning black though. Maybe you could try an alternate skin?

Wayne

First, make sure you are using the latest beta of dAP. See "need to find your version?" below for how to find your version.
    Next, you have to use the Legacy codecs for dAP, the new codecs in Codec Central will not work.

I have same problem. dAMP version 2 player with flac codec release 9 is not functional for playing flac files. The dAMP and dMC betas listed above do not fix the problem for me. If posted flac codec does not work, where is the legacy codec? I dont see it on site.

I notice in the configuration window the program is enabled for flac writing but does not indicate it is enabled for flac reading, which is what I want.
    Last edited by bcc1955; 07-31-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Administrator

Also, the link for Legacy Codec Central is in the main Codec Central at the top of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by william_b_noble
    I just downloaded DBpowerAmp to see if it would play FLAC files directly rather than decoding them to the much larger WAV format first - the information suggests this is possible. I tried downloading and installing both the current FLAC Codec (release 9) and the legacy FLAC codec. If I try the current release 9 FLAC codec, installation reports "error whilst running 'c:\program files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\dBconfig.exe'. This is not surprising since there is no executable by that name in the directory. If I try the legacy Codec, installation produces an error message that it cannot run a different file.

I don't want to convert formats, I just want to listen to FLAC files directly - is this supported? What am I doing wrong?
    I seem to have this problem also. I have installed the converter and the player and try as I can, I cannot get the flac codec to install. Is there a fix or a work around? I will supply any system info if needed. This is a great app that I had use from time to time and never had a problem with it till now, please help :cry:

jonny2x4, are you using r2 or the r3 beta of dAP and are you using the Legacy codec?

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    jonny2x4, are you using r2 or the r3 beta of dAP and are you using the Legacy codec?
    This is a old release, it says it a 9a release, it is one that I had in my backup file from a while back so I thought it would still perform like it always has, should I upgrade to a newer release? I have tried both codecs with no results.

I would say upgrade to at least r11.5, if not all the way to r12.

ok, I've tried almost everything and I am also having FLAC problems.

I have R12.2 Reference installed and it doesn't even give me the option to acknowledge .fla or .flac files in the options settings.

I also have the CD Ripper and it encodes to flac just fine. I've downloaded the legacy and still nothing shows.

Did you install dAP and dMC r12 to separate locations, as mentioned here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm?