title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: New guy ripping CD's

New guy ripping CD's

Bruce here. Trying to get back into Audio the digital way. Used to put all my LP's onto Cassette and Reel to Reel, so that will tell you I've been doing this for awhile.
    they say not to say anything bad about someplace or someone, but I must say some people over at hydrogenAudio are not the kindest souls I'v ever run into, especially for someone new to this.
    I'm not a spammer, and I'm not into causing grief. Been doing a lot of looking and investigating.
    I now have EAC, CDex and Audacity. What I want to do is put my CD's somewhere safe like on a HD on my PC. I use Windows Media Player for playing my music. I set up My Music as the place to put the files.Under each artist are various albums.
    I'm a big Jethro Tull fan, however i've found some of his recordings are about as lively as a wet noodle.Especially Aqualung, one of my favorite albums. I've looked far and wide for the DCC gold version with no luck except for around $400, which is a bit out there even for me.
    I tried using Audacity to "fix" the recordings to sound better,and some do a little. I've found best results come from minimal tweaks.
    I like the convenience of MP3's ,but i also understand there not thebest for archiving as they use a lot of compression. tried Wav's, but found unless I do it in media Player, the files can't seem to be found doing a search in Media Player, probaly because of tags possibly?
    Sometime the tags are there and Media Player still can't "find" the files. wondering what the best lossless format would be to save the files, but yet still retain the tagging so media player can find the files, and anything I may convert them to later.
    Also how is DBPowerAmp? I've heard it works fairly well, and is quite reliable, whereas I've found EAC to have a few "bugs".
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

Re: New guy ripping CD's

Why not give dBpoweramp a try, it will run 100% functional for 21 days, no obligation.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
    Bruce here. Trying to get back into Audio the digital way. Used to put all my LP's onto Cassette and Reel to Reel, so that will tell you I've been doing this for awhile.
    they say not to say anything bad about someplace or someone, but I must say some people over at hydrogenAudio are not the kindest souls I'v ever run into, especially for someone new to this.
    I'm not a spammer, and I'm not into causing grief. Been doing a lot of looking and investigating.
    I now have EAC, CDex and Audacity. What I want to do is put my CD's somewhere safe like on a HD on my PC. I use Windows Media Player for playing my music. I set up My Music as the place to put the files.Under each artist are various albums.
    I'm a big Jethro Tull fan, however i've found some of his recordings are about as lively as a wet noodle.Especially Aqualung, one of my favorite albums. I've looked far and wide for the DCC gold version with no luck except for around $400, which is a bit out there even for me.
    I tried using Audacity to "fix" the recordings to sound better,and some do a little. I've found best results come from minimal tweaks.
    I like the convenience of MP3's ,but i also understand there not thebest for archiving as they use a lot of compression. tried Wav's, but found unless I do it in media Player, the files can't seem to be found doing a search in Media Player, probaly because of tags possibly?
    Sometime the tags are there and Media Player still can't "find" the files. wondering what the best lossless format would be to save the files, but yet still retain the tagging so media player can find the files, and anything I may convert them to later.
    Also how is DBPowerAmp? I've heard it works fairly well, and is quite reliable, whereas I've found EAC to have a few "bugs".
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    dbpa is an excellent ripper (among other things). And much easier to use than EAC (and there are many "incorrect" setup guides to EAC on the web, so you must be very careful!).

My recommendation is to rip to lossless and do it right. You can always then create lossy (mp3) files from your lossless rips. I use FLAC (good tagging and pretty much the standard lossless format these days).

Investigate foobar2000 or winamp as players rather than WMP. Seems like WMP may be limited in types of files it will play.

Spot on dbpa so far ripped an album easily, although there were some features like the Accuraterip details and a few other things I couldn't find. I also was going to sample a few discs to set offset, but dbpa seemed to do that on its own by itself.
    I'm ripping to FLAC right now, but down the road i would like to burn some compilation discs with different types of music to play on my home DVD player, and wondered If I need to put those FLAC files into something else before I burn them to a DVD or CD.

Administrator

Depends on what formats your DVD and read, it is unlikely to read flac files.