title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

dBpoweramp Guru

Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

I've been working with my first skin design for dAP and am having some excellent results. But somewhere in the process, my Windows 98 Volume Control console has encountered a problem in that it will not display anymore.
    When you call for it to open either through Explorer or through the tray Icon it shows as if it is loaded and opened in the bottom bar of the screen...just like any other opened window. But it's not there.
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled all dB components, and performed system scan and defrag before reinstalling with all other programs closed...to no avail.
    Any suggestions for curing the problem or for what may have caused it so I can avoid this in the future?

Thanks.

Crazy Curt

Administrator
    I wouldn't say it is anything to do with dAP, it does not touch Windows Volume Meter.

Try Start >> Run >>

sndvol32 -r

dBpoweramp Guru
    Yeah...I tried that too. It still won't open. It just acts like it's opened, but invisible. I've posted to Support.Microsoft. Have seen others with the problem there also, but no real solutions. I'm starting to suspect my antivirus program.
    Since we all need these controls to work in conjunction with Auxiliary Input, I'll send an update when a remedy is found. Maybe it will help someone else.
    (Sorry if I've posted in the wrong area, here).

Thanks.
    Craze

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Craze
    I've been working with my first skin design for dAP and am having some excellent results. But somewhere in the process, my Windows 98 Volume Control console has encountered a problem in that it will not display anymore.
    When you call for it to open either through Explorer or through the tray Icon it shows as if it is loaded and opened in the bottom bar of the screen...just like any other opened window. But it's not there.
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled all dB components, and performed system scan and defrag before reinstalling with all other programs closed...to no avail.
    Any suggestions for curing the problem or for what may have caused it so I can avoid this in the future?

Thanks.

Crazy Curt

dBpoweramp Guru
    Missing something?

The fix is at http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=1156

Craze

Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Craze
    Missing something?

The fix is at http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=1156

Craze
    hey this one really works, i had the same exact problem and ive been looking for a solution for a couple hours now. i did what craze said to do on the link and it fixed it..my volume will now open if it werent for forums like these my computer would have probably blown up by now
    thnx craze

Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

This solution didn't work for me, because when I search for VOLUME it comes up with an enormous number of finds. None of them, even ones that say Volume Control, can be clicked on to give X and Y coordinates.

All I was trying to do was install a cheap Labtec microphone, I followed the instructions on their website and now my Volume Control has disappeared and I have no sound at all.

If anyone can help I would be really grateful - my email address is sholden@absp.org.uk

Thanks,

Stewart Holden (England)

Administrator

Re: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

If you don't have a speaker icon then the soun card is not functioning.

Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

Hi....Dave aka kindspliff...Just sent ya e-mail, Stewart... have quick-fix or can go till we fix it.. grtfldv@hotmail.com ~`PEACE`~

Penny

I don't see the "x" and "y" just default

Fvmusicman

I tryed to open the volume control and it keeps telling me that there is a file useing it, but I can't find it. can you help me?

Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I need help!

Somehow in the midst of messing with my computer I have lost my volume control completely it seems! My sounds are working fine so there is nothing wrong with my soundcard, but my volume icon is gone and when I go to the control panel and click the box to put the icon on the taskbar it says my volume control program is not installed. I just want my simple, uncomplicated, basic volume control back!

Any suggestions?

Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I need help!

Somehow in the midst of messing with my computer I have lost my volume control completely it seems! My sounds are working fine so there is nothing wrong with my soundcard, but my volume icon is gone and when I go to the control panel and click the box to put the icon on the taskbar it says my volume control program is not installed. I just want my simple, uncomplicated, basic volume control back!

Any suggestions?

Unregistered

Arrow Re: Windows Volume Control Won't Open Anymore

Did you go to in Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia ?

Check the box Show Volume Control on the Task Bar.

If that doesn't work, go through System>Hardware>Device Manager and check the status of your sound card components. Occasionally something goes bad there and you may have to reinstall the various drivers.